Lenovo thinkPad L380 Yoga or ideapad flex 4 14 (AMD) or anything similar

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by augustus108, Aug 12, 2020.

1. augustus108

augustus108 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

around AUD$1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

Australia

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Nope

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes, but only from "very" reputable place (I have bought laptops from Graysonline.com)

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Coding (web, three.js on my To-Learn), learning Windows Admin (will be setting up local VM to learn PowerShell), engineering in Excel

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Different place

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yes, but will not be game like COD; only game like Diablo

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

As long as possible.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-
    line without seeing it is OK?

No preference

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Definitely not Chrome OS.

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

High resolution
    Touch screen with stylus support

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

no preference

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No, not important

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

I have fixed my own computer and laptop. I can always upgrade if possible or else 256GB min.

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Soon (L380 on special until 18/Aug)

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

Long time; maybe until 2nd generation of Surface Neo

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Long time (this will be my laptop)

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

If significant saving, then I've no issue shipping the laptop to vendor.

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a secondary device (I own a Precision). I originally thought about Surface Go 2, but didn't like the storage (max @ 128GB) plus by the time you add Type Cover & pen, it will be price of a decent laptop (today standard anyway).

IdeaPad RAM max out @16GB, while L380 Yoga RAM max out 32GB.
    IdeaPad CPU will be Ryzen 5 4500U, while L380 Yoga CPU is i5-8250

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Laptop prices in the land of downunder doesn't look quite attractive and that will burst ur budget limit of 1000 Aus Quids, bloke.
    In addition, recent years of product development seems to remove the flexibility of RAM expansion capabilities and most of the systems will tend to have soldered RAMs with maximum size limited to 8 or 16GBs... I'm afraid there won't be much options for u unless u can raise ur budget by... 500?

3. augustus108

Reputations:
    thanks Ed.

i agree and had noted $1500 will make a huge different on possibility, but I want to keep the cost $1000 because this will be my 2ndary device. I would have gone for an Android tablet if I could do PowerShell/Windows Server VM.

Would you go with newer CPU or more RAM?

4. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    RAM prices is far more affordable than the main star of a system. CPU wise, there's always a significant difference between camps, then the core counts, lastly the clock rate. This is why AMD Ryzen products get lots of attention in recent years, and anticipation for newer more capable makes to beat candidates from the blue camp.
    I myself will look at CPU first. RAM next, depending on specs

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't think the CPU will make a big difference for what you do when it comes to performance; the Core i5 and the Ryzen 5 chips in the laptops you're considering are quite capable. For longer-term investments I would prioritize the memory ceiling more than anything. 32GB is very nice to have.

I haven't used the ThinkPad Yoga series recently but I tested some a few years back (2016-17) and they were solid. The new ones look like they continue that trend. The ThinkPad line is better built than the IdeaPads.

Charles

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @augustus108

1. L380 Yoga can take 64GB RAM via 2x SO-DIMM slots, while Ideapad Flex 14 AMD indeed has up to 16GB soldered RAM.

2. CPU and especially GPU are MUCH faster on Ideapad Flex 14 AMD.

3. Keyboard and build quality are better on L380 Yoga.

L380 Yoga is not future-proof despite RAM, it has old Intel CPU that will only get slower over the years due to never-ending stream of vulnerabilities and patches for them slowing it down, and its iGPU is just weak. It is way faster than Surface Go 2, however. Flex is future-proof as long as you don't need over 16GB RAM, and there aren't many alternatives especially at this price point. Good luck!

7. augustus108

Reputations:
    thanks all,

I wanted to make sure I haven't miss anything (most of the points raised I have thought about it) or someone have other recommendation @ this price point (re-iterate, I keep it @ $1000 because this will be a 2ndary device, and I'll be using this almost like a "tablet")

the only reason why L380 yoga is on the radar is due to Lenovo trying to get rid of their stock, and thus less than $1000 (the current generation model that is inline with L380 Yoga, is Thinkpad L13 Yoga, starting price is about $1600 with only 8GB soldered RAM, i5-10210U)

My thinking is similar to Charles, I'll be going with L380 Yoga