Lenovo ThinkPad A485

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by 9ac3, Jul 14, 2018 at 6:39 AM.

1. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any idea when it is going to be released? From Lenovo's website (https://lnv.gy/2KSiK4V) it looks like it's going to be a big improvement over the disappointing A475. The ports of A485 is very identical to that of T480.

At a clockspeed of 2.2 GHz, AMD's Ryzen 7 Pro 2700u processor seems very appealing. Here are the benchmark results: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+PRO+2700U&id=3258.

Also, any thoughts on how its price going to be? Will it be cheaper or more expensive than the T480?

2. highlandsun

highlandsun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    My best guess pins it somewhere around the T480 IGP pricepoint for the base model (4C/4T), and around the dGPU pricepoint for the top SKU (Vega 10, 4C/8T). Lenovo charged roughly the same price for the A475 vs the T470. What I want to know is if Lenovo will finally be the one to take advantage of the 25W TDP option (with appropriate cooling), or will we see yet another gimped Ryzen release?

My other wild guess is Intel provides a lot of HW design support to integrators, and AMD doesn't (or doesn't have access to those same engineering channels). Nvidia probably has to do the same for most of their design wins. Nvidia especially is helped along by Intel's bifurcation of the "Iris Plus" eDRAM and regular "U series" quad core SKUs, which run different packages (and therefore require different motherboards). AMD has the same window to attack Intel's graphics weakness, which Intel itself created for whatever reason (there has only ever been one drop-in Iris SKU, and it was a desktop chip).

9ac3 likes this.
  4. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really hope that AMD has enough HW design support to ensure that Ryzen 7 2700U reaches its full potential in this Thinkpad model (AMD said they'll fix this issue). In Acer Swift 3, the Ryzen 7 2700U performed worse than Intel's Core i7-8550U and Core i5-8250U, but on paper it's supposed to beat them. It even performed worse than Ryzen 5 2500U (could be due to throttling in the review unit) according to Notebookcheck's review for Acer Swift 3 with Ryzen 7 2700U + Radeon RX Vega 10.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 7:25 PM
  5. highlandsun

highlandsun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    only compare prices on perks store

pm me for the access code (I don't profit off this)

9ac3 likes this.
  8. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For sure! Thanks a lot :)