1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Lenovo T61 - CPU Temperature

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by wb74160, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wb74160

wb74160 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all, just upgraded my T7300 to retail T7700, using the maintenance manual, and i have 60/65° C average on using it let's say Internet , usual surfing, email stuff

could some t61 users post their temperatures, idle, 3D, or whatever to compare ?
    thanks

2. Notebook Solutions

Notebook Solutions Company Representative NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Those temperatures are way to high, especially for an IBM. Are you sure that you have applied cooling paste. It could also be that you have done too much, which can also cause overheating.

Normal temperatures while surfing et cetera should be around 45-50 for the T61. Those temperatures are more likely to occur at full load.

Good luck.

3. wb74160

wb74160 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks, i did put artic silver 5 thermal grease by the way.
    what software is the more accurate to check temp ? i use rightmark cpu clock utility

4. Notebook Solutions

Notebook Solutions Company Representative NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I use Notebook Hardware Control. Very accurate. You can also check out Everest, Mobmeter or Speedfan.

Good luck.

5. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    tpfancontrol gets the actual motherboard temps... NHC, Everest, etc get the cpu's core temps only.

My T7400 idles around 43-45C.

6. xnviews

xnviews Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My Pentium M 2Ghz Dothan idles at 58C. Beat that :). When it actually was able to throttle and undervolt in windows xp (I currently have vista) I got it to idle at 52C!

Oh ya under load it hits 70-80C and crashes. Fun stuff. I hate ASUS now.

7. -Rogue5-

-Rogue5- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry about this being slightly off-topic but what were you battery times with the T7300 and then with the T7700? Was there a noticable difference when a.) just surfing the web or b.) doing something CPU/System intensive?

8. stallen

stallen Thinkpad Woody

Reputations:
    Arctic Silver takes about a week (or two can't remember which) to cure. You can sometimes have a 10 degree drop after the curing process.

9. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    I have never seen than in over 40 computer builds. Maybe a 1-2 drop, but only if you are working with a gigantic blob that is thinning out.

10. betty

betty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all-

Has anyone actually succeeded in doing this? I'd like to apply Arctic Silver instead of the current stuff - the fan ramps up too much for my taste, and I've done a clean install already. Perhaps a better thermal interface will solve the problem.

I'm concerned about messing it up though. I've looked at the service manual, seems straightforward, but I've never opened up my thinkpad before (t61, integrated graphics, 14").

I read another post that one should not touch the thermal pad on the graphics chip. Can't you remove that and add AS instead?

Thanks!
    betty