Lenovo T420 screen quality question!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jjahshik32, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjahshik32

jjahshik32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm still waiting for my T420 to arrive but I have a question regarding the quality of the screen. I've seen comments about the screen being awful because of the griddiness but I was wondering what everyone else thought about the screen.

What is this griddiness that I keep hearing about? Does anyone have a high quality picture of the screen quality on the T420 (1600x900)? If so, could you please post?

I've been looking at the screen quality of the T420 from this video clip. If you set it to 720p video quality and fast forward it to 5:07, you can actually take a look at the screen quality and from this video it looks very good to my eyes. I know its always different looking at something from a video clip even if it is high quality as to looking at it in real life but does this video clip reflect the true nature of this display in real life?

YouTube - ‪Intel Demos New VPro Features On Sandy Bridge ThinkPad Notebooks From Lenovo‬‏ Fast forward to 5:07

2. oxlmoos

oxlmoos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The screen quality if fine for normal use. Initially I noticed the graininess on a regular basis, but after a month of use I hardly see it at all. It just looks like check boxes in the background, and the way I've previously described it is that it's a similar effect to the "magic eye" pictures that required you to relax your eyes to see the hidden picture. I don't have any problem with the graininess. It's fine for email and all work-related tasks. Don't expect great color accuracy in games or Photoshop.

3. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's an easy way to tell if you'll have problems:

1) Do you regularly sit with your eyes < 18 inches from the screen?

2) Are you going to spend a lot of time looking for a problem?

3) Do you care more about finding every flaw in your notebook than you do using it?

If you answered 'yes' to any of the above you may have some issues with the screen quality.

If, on the other hand, you answered 'no' for all three, then I suspect you'll have no problem with the T420 screen.

There is a slight diffusive effect from the anti-glare coating on the T420's screen. It's not uncommon on matte displays (particularly not on AUO panels, which I've always found to have a "strong" matte finish) but the fact that most manufacturers have embraced glossy panels makes the T420's display seem even more out of place in this regard.

If you don't go out of your way to look for it, you'll probably forget all about it in a day or two.

4. kingneptune117

kingneptune117 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just got my T420 yesterday. I am IMPRESSED with the screen quality. I read all the horror stories about how bad it was. The picture is very crisp, and the screen is surprisingly bright. Yes the graininess is kind of there, but it is there on MANY other laptops. This is the trade off for having a matte-style screen. I am loving my T420 so far.

5. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm curious whether you got the AUO panel or the LG panel. Lenovo seems to shuffle it up a bit sometimes, and the LG is slightly better than the AUO.

To find out, could you download this program: HWiNFO32 Download
    Then once you run it, what does it say under "Monitor"?

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have attempted to summarise my thoughts on my T420s' display in this review. It took a lot of tweaking to get what is now an acceptable result but I'm running at at almost full brightness indoors which leaves little headroom for bright lighting conditions. The display is quite usable although it is better that I don't directly compare it with my Dell E6410. The bigger pixels of the latter's panel help improve the user experience.

John

7. nickia

nickia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The T420 screen is very grainy indeed. In fact, screen brightness is the only thing that T420 does significantly better than T61.

8. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well it's also higher resolution than the T61 screens. And it's LED backlit.

But yes, it does indeed have a more visibly-matte finish.

9. jjahshik32

jjahshik32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think this graininess or griddiness that everyone is talking about might be a regular characteristics of a Matte display. Some people dont like it because they like that super pop look that semi glossy or glossy displays offer.

If I think its that type of graiddiness/graininess that I think it is, I think I will be happy with the display quality as I love Matte displays and its characteristics.

10. ferganer80

ferganer80 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, it is not a regular characteristic of a matte/anti-glare screen. Take a look at the W520 or T520 FHD screen, or for that matter X220's IPS, which is also a matte screen or the matte screens on MacBook Pro's and you will not see any griddiness there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.