Lenovo P51 - do not buy!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Chris_ast1, Feb 18, 2018.

?

How should I proceed?

1. A) Sue Lenovo Poland, or Lenovo - if in result I miss my classes (Bootcamp is expensive)?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B) Spread (but how?) message about how their customers are treated, and how bad their products are?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C) Never 'over-pay' for products that falsely are advertised as professional/premium?

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I wonder if the same policy is also in the US.

2. Chris_ast1

Chris_ast1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you all for the involvement.
    In Poland there is NBD, but as stated - it is not in the meaning that (as with Dells) - that they will repair it within 24h, they will dispatch tech in 24h if parts are on site, but they aren't.

I treat my laptops as an eggs, with all precautions known to man that exist (including ESD equipment, humidity known and temperature - in reality below 25% humidity everything becomes 'static threat' during winter dry air, drier than AC can produce will make it possible to reach 23% humidity!). I always take into consideration condensation, and all other physics factors known.
    I am overly-cautious, my Retina is monitored all the time, I see temps, and rpm's. I also saw them and checked logs in P51, this seems not be an issue, issue really is 'legit'. This was not a miss-use, I closed the lid during 5 minutes break, I didn't want it to be opened - I am just assuming that this is only point which could fail. In system management - in Screens, Windows 10 Pro still sees both! 4K panel and connected via HDMI external monitor (I could log in only thanks to fingerprint scanner).

It is also not the cable, at least mics and camera are working, only display.

Only one VM, without much servers running on it is not a big deal, also IDE.

Here I will not have any "refund", return whatsoever. That is precisely why I bought it with extended warranty - I knew that Nvidia is an issue waiting to happen, however this time it is not the NV to be blamed.

3. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOVE my P51. It was great to get off the Dell Precision 5510 that I was using the past 2 years, and jump on a machine that just works, and runs smoothly.

4. hiu

hiu Newbie

Reputations:
    Chris, should be easy to get a fix in Polen, all european thinkpad need to go to your country for fix-service.
    Thinkcenter service for Europe is located in Polen.
    Mine was planned to go to Polen for a cost-note?

5. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, FWIW, my P51 has been flawless as well. I am sorry to hear folks having issues.

6. chukwe

chukwe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Fluffyfurball, how did you upgrade your P51 to 4.5TB?

7. Fluffyfurball

Reputations:
    I have a 2TB Crucial 2.5" SSD, a 2TB NVMe SSD, and the 500GB NVMe SSD boot drive.

huntnyc, chukwe and Vasudev like this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    >put many storage into P51
    >take your P51 into poland
    >poland can into space

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  9. chukwe

chukwe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks @Fluffyfurball, how much did those extra storage cost? I currently have 1TB NVMe that came with my P51. I'm thinking the cost of 4TB upgrade and also what will I do with 5TB.

Fluffyfurball and Vasudev like this.
  10. Fluffyfurball

Reputations:
    Lol, only upgrade if you need the space as it is expensive! It cost me about $2000. You could get the Samsung 4TB 2.5" SSD for cheaper (about $1500).

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.