Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool. This is interesting. Is it just a windows recovery like the windows 10 download or is it the drivers as well or separate driver media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DRM842

DRM842 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I almost feel dumb asking but is it safe to put a 9mm 2.5inch HDD into my y740? The reason I want to do this is because I ordered the 256 PCIe SSD only y740 and I'm quickly running out of space. I also want to upgrade the 256 SSD to a WD Black 500gb PCIe. So I'll need to transfer everything over to the HDD when I replace the SSD correct? And I had this 1TB 9mm HDD laying around from my PS4 Pro when I upgraded it to a 2TB hybrid drive.

I've now installed the 9mm HDD but I definitely had to force the screws down and now I see a slight bulge on the palm rest where the HDD is installed so it seems a 7mm HDD is the right fit. Could I be running the risk of breaking something or having an overheating issue? Thanks for any and all advice!!

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  3. Lappytappy6

Lappytappy6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well just realize that there will very likely be issues with the new iteration of this laptop too. That's how it ALWAYS is, nothing is perfected by the next iteration or we would have dozens of "perfect" laptops on the market today.

Also seems highly unrealistic to expect the death of backlight bleed by 2020, from any company.

4. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    In my experience, full recovery with factory drivers and software.

However, my experience is with two Thinkpads (X1C6 and E485 - both current models) in the US. I have no clue about any other setup.

For the Thinkpads, it's basically a corporate-style Windows setup, with all of the Lenovo stuf SCCM'd into the Windows install package.

5. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Death of backlight bleed is already here. OLED or VA panels. Just comes down to whatever panel type the company wants to put into their laptop.

I'll take a VA panel over IPS usually. VA is usually cheaper, much better contrast, and no back light bleed. OLED is the expensive option, but obviously higher quality.

I like the y740 and if I needed a laptop NOW, it would probably be the choice. However, I don't think RTX is worth the upgrade from GTX at the time, so I'll wait until the next GPU and a processor gen or two passes. If I didn't have a laptop, the Y740 seems like a good choice. I bought a 17" Y740 back in February, reviewed it, and was ultimately disappointed with it. Backlight bleed and performance that didn't justify the cost to me were the main motivations for the return. Performance wasn't a large enough jump from my current set up, but a lot of people have older set ups or no set up at all.

6. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So what's the max undervolt people are getting before performance impact?

7. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How can I get the cooling boost mode back in Vantage?
    Does anyone have the older app package file?

Mine is a 15" pre built 2070MQ model. Performing pretty well, CB15: 1226 (1193-1230, multiple back to back runs).

8. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its a keyed function. Fn+Q will trigger max fans cool boost

Mines getting upward of GPU 1800 sometimes. though then the CPU Can spike around 90c not tested the Rendering speed yet.

9. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Will I get any indication that the fans have gone up? I am actually operating it remotely over teamviewer. A UI control was much better.

10. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got 1226 CB15 score with -150mV on the CPU cache and -250mV on the CPU core, I pressed FN+Q from my Lenovo Y500 (which is what I am using to control the Y740 remotely) and I am passing keyboard shortcuts to the Y740 using teamviewer.

The score is what I have been getting consistently, max power pulled by the CPU was 60W in core temp.