Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Max Q labels don’t matter. How does the GPU perform relative to the Y740?

2. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Just FYI, there is no "Max P" version of 2070, only Max-q and just regular mobile 2070.

As for Clevo PB51ef - I have it and it is in some ways better than 15" Y740 (especially since mobile 2070 is faster than 2070 Max-q version and since it has numpad keys) though there are some quality issues affecting it too, like backlight bleeding (since it also has IPS type of display) or thermal issues with some units (due to poorly applied thermal paste or poor heatsink mounting pressure) or things like slightly misaligned displays and so on. You can read all about them in Clevo section.

Also, I think people who want to "wait more" until "manufacturers will improve cooling" are deluding themselves - no matter how large heatsinks will be in future models or how many exhaust holes there will be or how cool the future CPUs will be - there will ALWAYS be a chance of people receiving a laptop with high temps and thermal throttling simply because the manufacturer has not applied thermal paste properly or has not mounted heatsink properly or put a defective heatsink with uneven surface. This will NOT change. Just make sure to buy laptops from resellers who allow easy returns in case you'll get a defective model with defective heatsink or you don't want to change paste by yourself and you will be fine in terms of cooling ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2019
  3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does anyone want to do me a favour and upload the recovery partition?

Hugely grateful to whoever’s willing.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The label does matter since that label designates the wattage that the GPU is able to draw. The 2070 MQ can only draw 80 to 90W, while the standard laptop 2070 can draw 115W. In terms of how this difference is reflected in the y740 vs the Clevo PB51EF-G I used the Notebookcheck review of the y740 and the GenTechPC review of the PB51EF-G as reference.

Using Firestrike the y740 scores 16,589 graphically vs the PB51EF-G which scores 19,236 graphically. Thus in this test, the 2070MQ is 86% as powerful as the standard laptop 2070.

The terms Max Q and Max P only refer to the laptop sector, so I'm referring to the standard laptop 2070 with the Max P designation.

5. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    There are official Lenovo forums, they cover all models:
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/bd-p/ll07_en

That is not true. Regardless of official rating the mobile 2070 (again, this is not "Max P" in any way, regardless if some misguided reviewers labeled it as such) can draw more than 115W. It all depends on how much each laptop manufacturers allows it to draw. I do not have 2070 Max-q to test but this is what I got with regular mobile 2070, this is running Forza Horizon 4 benchmark:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2019
  6. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    AlexusR likes this.
  7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    True ;-) Of course, people here on Notebookreview forums mostly act in a similar way, meaning "hey guys, I got the [insert laptop brand and model number], works great" and then stop posting until they have an issue with it. This is not counting a few senile idiots who just spam hatred towards "Company X" or "Company Y" in various sections (I am not talking about this Lenovo section but just a general observation).

Luckily there are always videos by people like @B0B
    https://www.youtube.com/user/satanjamez

or Stephen
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkTweJExGMqp3NLvzvOn-yg

or Jarrod
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Rzju32yQPkQ7oIhmeuLwg

who spend a significant amount of time on showing various details like benchmarks and temperature numbers in various tasks and other details (though none of them are perfect, but they still try). Both Bob and Stephen have done Y740 reviews (Bob did a full disassembly and repaste and Steven did a long video showing performance in games). I don't think Jarrod reviewed it but he reviewed many other models so his channel is also great and pretty useful if you want to compare performance of your laptop with a similar model.

8. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't compare the laptop implementation to the desktop. There are three tiers of 2070; Max Q, Max P, and Desktop. The point of the Max P designation is to separate the higher wattage laptop 2070s from the lower wattage ones. I know that laptop 2070 wattages are lower than those of the desktop chips. As for the exact wattage the Max P 2070 pulls, you're correct that it can draw over 115W. I'm simply referencing the official spec for the tier.

9. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    I'm not comparing anything with desktop versions. Only mobile GPUs. And Nvidia doesn't designate full powered mobile 2070 as "Max P", neither is any other manufacturer (except Samsung, but they're "special"). The whole thing will only confuse people since they might think there are 3 versions of mobile 2070: regular mobile 2070 (which is labeled just as "2070" by most manufacturers and resellers and which has a suggested TDP of 115w - for example when anyone goes to Sager site all they will see is "2070" for a regular mobile 2070), 2070 "Max P" (which is same exact thing as regular mobile 2070 but some people think it's "cool" to add "Max P" even though you won't see the "Max P" definition on sites like Sager's own or MSI or Asus) and 2070 Max-q (which is downclocked and underpowered version of mobile 2070 with suggested TDP of 80-90w). This is why I don't believe "Max P" should be used anywhere.

Edit: let me give a visual example. Let's say you have a conversation with person, where you suggest that "2070 Max P is better than 2070 Max-Q", and let's say that person goes to Sager's site. What does he see? Something like:

[​IMG]

Then he would go like "hmm... there's no 2070 Max P... I wonder if that 2070 in NP8356 is better than 2070 Max P and 2070 Max-Q that were mentioned... I guess I should ask".
    See what I mean? Adding extra "Max P" can be confusing to at least some people because you won't see these letters on such sites, and to prevent confusion it's easier to just NOT use "Max P" at all.

P.S: Sorry to everyone for taking this whole thread off-topic.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
  10. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So how high does the 2070 MQ usually hit?

Because I'm getting 1700-1800 around 65c that's before looking into fan curve tweaks. Though I do hit max fans for optimum voltage.

And still pretty quiet.