Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. PacoTheComputingTaco

PacoTheComputingTaco Newbie

Reputations:
    There's no "max frequency." There's a boost frequency that Nvidia guarantees. My laptop 2070 I had before I returned it got to 1800-1950Mhz. My desktop got to 2000Mhz.

In the comments, he mentions that his 2070 MQ was a 90W variant but it was reaching 97W. It seems 90W variant = whatever-the-hell-the-cooler-can-manage.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  2. En-TACT

En-TACT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The hurting part is the wait. But i just came to terms with a list of grounding of why i will wait: it is said to be a visual overhaul, a redesigned well-built-quality chassis (hopefully solid frame and lighter), integrating the Thinkpad keyboard, better and larger mousepad, a higher nit and faster screen (hopefully higher refresh rate, optional 4K, and no bleed), front-faced speakers (maybe bring back JBL), additional ports (hoping for more thunderbolt 3/usb-c). I know im hoping alot in the Y750, but i think Lenovo listens to their customers and learned from the Y740 to implement new features and make some better improvements that can impact a phenomenal gaming machine.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. pexx421

pexx421 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, got my 15” 2070 and playing around with it. It was getting up around 91 in throttlestop stress test. I just undervolted it to -120mv and the gpu to -50 to play it safe. Running diablo 3, it’s the first game I downloaded just for kicks, downloading anthem now.... playing diablo 3 the gpu was up to 65 Celsius and the cpu was topped out at 75 Celsius. About 145 FPS. Nice and cool! Not sure how intensive diablo 3 is. Also the fans are super quiet! On idle and browsing or streaming I don’t hear them at all, could hardly tell they were running, and playing diablo 3 the noise was extremely minimal. Pretty damn good!

4. pexx421

pexx421 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, that’s actually playing on my lap, wearing a robe, with no cooling pad or anything.

5. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed. Maybe it’s just me, but so far I can’t find a single laptop that’s well balanced. Most have crazy thermal issues. And others are just ridiculously expensive. The Y740 hits the sweet spot, but I think it just needs another year of refinement.

I can wait and I think anyone who can wait, it might be worthwhile. Not just for Lenovo but for even other laptops that may improve on cooling and optimization. If you can’t wait then I think this is definitely one of if not the best laptop of this cycle.

jeremyshaw and En-TACT like this.
  6. DRM842

DRM842 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can't say enough for how great this forum has been for all my Lenovo enthusiasms and go-to place for advice.

Are there any other great forums out there online that cover Lenovo gaming laptops or the y740 that you would recommend to check every so often as another great resource?

7. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    you might as well add a 10nm cpu to that list as well, along with grizzly kryonaut, a pantone callibrated screen, a 8k webcam, an amp, a mechanical keyboard with cherry switches, a slide out secondary panel, some hanging dice and maybe some french toast.

emphasis on other laptops...apparently this thing has to be an icebox.

dumpsterj likes this.
  8. DRM842

DRM842 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone else heard of Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut gpu/cpu pads? This video was pretty interesting. Might give it a try in the future when I notice my temps start to increase overtime due to the thermal paste breaking down over time. Would love to hear y'all's thoughts on it as well.

9. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Yes, there has been a few threads about it. This could certainly be better than any thermal paste since it will not break or pump out over time, however it is still not available for sale here.

10. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Bad for some laptops. It is incredibly sensitive to mounting pressure. Having unequal mounting pressure can cause some core delta values that are extremely high. How well it performs can greatly vary from laptop to laptop