Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. zoneykid

zoneykid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After testing around I can't tell if setting the fans to max just cools down the rest of the laptop enough for the fans to kick off or if it's actually doing some sort of reset for the fan controller.
    I notice some nights I have to leave it running on max for a minute, then turn it off and things will settle down for the night.

In any case, it's solved my problem enough to where I'll probably only continue on getting the utility to work if I have some extra time to satisfy my curiosity.

One thing that's really bugged me is the lack of SD Card reader, would it have been that hard to put one in? Even a MicroSD reader would have worked fine.

Other small thing: I wish they put a USB-C port on the back, so if I have a monitor that does displayport over type c I can just have a single cable for data and display that doesn't stick out the side.

Also, I don't understand why the power plug symbol light only turns on when the power is plugged in. I don't need to know where the port is if it's already plugged in...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Kalen likes this.
  2. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So what is a good carrying case for the fifteen inch. I've got a pack for distance but need a sleeve or something for just carrying from room to room. Power brick pocket would be a plus.

3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow. Shocked to find that my laptop was shipped on the 26th. Said 29th it be here but checking the tracking. Thursday is anticipated (2nd May).
    Kinda excited. But should be disappointed no 9750H unless they wanna surprise me...which I doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:

OwnorDisown did a livestream on gaming performance. He clocks the fifteen inch 2070 Max Q variant being almost on par with 2080 Max Q.

Pretty good this early with RTX drivers.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. pexx421

pexx421 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, mine arrived today, 14 days after ordered. Of course the other one I ordered March 15 doesn’t arrive until Thursday, but they’re different models so maybe it’s that.

6. glifford

glifford Newbie

Reputations:
    I solved the back-light bleeding problem. (kind of)

When the lid is open, the lid is very slightly bowed. It seems like the actual hinges might not be perfectly aligned, or too close together, though if that is the case, it's imperceptible.

If I straighten out the lid, all the bleed magically disappears - bleeding along the bottom and in the top corner. At least in my case, it's definitely not because "that's just the way IPS screens are".

The bending is super subtle. It was only once I noticed it that I was unable not to see it.

If you've got back-light bleeding, check this out: while you've got the screen turned on and set to an all black background, reach around to the back of the lid and apply a gentle pressure at the center of the chrome bar (made up to look like part of the hinge) at the bottom of the lid. Watch the bleed vanish as you push the bottom center of the lid slightly toward the keyboard.

I got the 15". Ordered in march. I'm returning it. I don't trust the glue, hinges, or screen to hold up over time if it's under constant stress like that.

7. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’ve been telling people that forever. Oftentimes it’s the trim squeezing the panel that causes much of our BLB.

glifford likes this.
  8. glifford

glifford Newbie

Reputations:
    It's so frustrating. The machine seems perfect otherwise. All they had to do was spend 50 cents to reinforce the bottom of the lid.

9. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    What would be a good way to reinforce the panel if that'll be needed/

10. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This testing in done on my Clevo, but the results might be interessting for you owners aswell since the ram is plug and play. Got my HyperX impact 2x8 2666cl15-ram yesterday. Experience so far: It enabled itself on auto to run at 2666cl15-15-15 without me having to do a thing. I tested it using Aida64. With 2133cl15 running at 2400cl14-16-16 I got 33700MB\s read and 61.5ns. Stock 2666cl15-17-17 gave me 34500MB\s and 65ns. I thought that was a bit slow so I checked with bios and I used to run tRFC at 270 with the 2400cl14-ram. It was set to 467 on auto with the 2666cl15-ram. I lowered it and got it down to 420 stable, 410 won`t boot. Read went to 36500MH\s and latency to 63ns. I have tried lowering other values, but system wont boot. Compared with my desktop running i5 8400 with 2666cl14-16-16 tRFC 350 1.35V the laptop-ram is significantly slower. Desktop does 38900MB\s read and has 58ns latency. Guess that extra 0,15V makes the difference. Will try some additional testing later :) Haven`t really looked at gamingperformance yet.

Has anyone here got Aida64 and are willing to do some testing? The i7 8750H will probably give larger gains to latency and beat my setup easily, but I think going from 2666cl19 to 2666cl15 will make a difference in several scenarios. The Kingston HYperX impact also has modules that does 2933cl17 and 3200cl20, all plug and play so they will adjust to your systems maximum supported speed :)