Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    US is same. It's cool.

2. En-TACT

En-TACT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lenovo is known for some of the best keyboard quality for laptops - esp. their Thinkpad lineup. I have the Y720 15" with the numpad area, and i love it. Unlike Macs where the keys are low profile and loud, the Y720 keys are somewhat elevated, quiet and a solid great feel to type.

The complaints I've heard with the Y740's keyboard is not much support in the center area, causing the frame to have a slight bend-press when using the center keys. I wonder for those who are using the Y740 experienced this?

3. scarletfever

scarletfever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Look up nvidia GPU boost. It basically will ‘overclock’ the card during gaming to get to as high boost clock as possible within the power limit. You should pretty much always be at power limit. It’s surprising you didn’t previously see this behavior though.

Kalen likes this.
  4. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In the Uk I’m reading 14 days money back guarantee. I assume you can still after then just with a “hit” unless there is a “fault” found then you can return it without the restocking charge within 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Check out Bob of All Trades' review on youtube, i think he mentions it. I use a thinkpad laptop at work, and the keyboard is phenomenal. I think they will likely fix for the next gen Y750

6. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So it sounds like Icelake has been scrapped so maybe the only 10nm will be only for the low end 35w laptops. until 2021.

So even the y750 won't have much other than the Intel GPU they are working on.

So 14nm until then.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  7. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://www.ultrabookreview.com/26518-lenovo-legion-y740-review/ maybe it has been linked to previously, but interessting anyways. The take an good look at CPU-undervolt and GPU-overclock and you can see performance, temps etc in games :)

Has any owners here tried flatline undervolt of GPU in afterburner and see what max speed you can get? Bobofalltrades did 1320MHz at 700mv if I`m not mistaken, but I think it is possible to go a bit higher than that. On my 1070 that does 1850@1000mv for a few minutes, then gradually drops to 1600@850mv due to 70C being thermal throttle limit) I can do 1493@700mv (58% performance at 47% W). Performance (and powerconsumption) drops like a stone compared to 1750@800mv (89% performance at 71% W) and 1800@850mv (100% performance at 80% W) so on pascal that is not a good idea, but turing seems more capable of handling low voltage without the insane performancedrop when going below 800mv. I see that in some test like The Witcher 3 the 2070max-q tops out at 1380@713mv, going for 1500@700mv or maybe higher might be possible if you get access to voltage-curves on max-q in latest version of afterburner?

8. En-TACT

En-TACT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I heard they will integrate the Thinkpad's keyboard design into the Legion Y750.

Im wondering if i should wait for the Y750 (2020), or go for the Y740 with the i7-9750h. I just visited Lenovo's site, yet again they've dropped prices on the Y740s. Making way for that refresh model.

9. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If it's still 14nm then the answer is no.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  10. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there, I decided to check as well, currently using my y740 unplugged on my lap and CPU is 44 while in Chrome and fans are not moving at all (looked underneath to confirm and no blades are spinning). I know some others have messaged since but I figured I would post in as well regarding that.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk