Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    idle fan noise...should just never bought the thing.

2. pexx421

pexx421 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hm. Last time I bought a gaming laptop was several years ago. And I bought many over the decade before that. I don’t recall fan noise and thermal throttling being issues back then. Of course, laptops were bigger.

3. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone tried upgrading to faster ram? There are some pnp-ram with 2666cl15 and even 3200cl16 out there. On the medium setting in games and in some productivity workloads that might improve performance a bit.

4. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ram should cap out at 2666, 3200 not sure if it really helps out that much,

5. zoneykid

zoneykid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The idle fan noise, while louder than my old laptop, is still equal to if not better than a regular PC case with 3-4 fans going, it honestly doesn't bother me except if I want to sleep with my laptop on.

And they used a lot more models back in the day to hit specific power and thermal goals, Intel and OEMs eventually realized it's easier and more cost effective to just sell a few CPU models and just set a power/thermal limit and have it sort itself out, rather than spec a different model. This also helps standardize performance, and in my opinion, is also a benefit to the consumer since it simplifies choice, and also lets us power users tune our processors to squeeze out all the performance we can, I was able to push mine to an undervolt of -165.0 saving me about 10-20 degrees of heat and letting me push higher speeds for longer.
    An interesting fact, Ivy Bridge alone has 141 different models vs Coffee Lake is just almost half that at 75.

As for the fan curve, I still haven't sorted that out, haven't had time to look into it further, I will try some more later today hopefully.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. En-TACT

En-TACT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. En-TACT

Reputations:
    Has anyone upgraded the NVMe SSD hardware, or know if you can? Curious to know if Lenovo whitelisted that part on the Y740. That was one hardware change I could not go buy openly on my Legion Y720.

8. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay, but stock timings are cl19, I think getting cl14 or cl15 will make a difference in some scenarios :)

9. En-TACT

Reputations:
    I have swapped out memory on my Y720 for G.Skill (32GB), and no issues.

Yes, the stocked memory in the Y740 are measured at 19ms. I was looking into HyperX (I think Kingston) for my next laptop, which offers CAS latency measured at 15ms.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACVB7AE7226

I see Samsung has lower CAS latency at 11ms. But I'm not familiar with their quality and reliability.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADRH8ZB9014

taraquin likes this.
  10. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be using stock ram, I have crucial ballistix anyway at cl16, like yea there is an argument for lower cas latency...but gains... not super great