Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it stays locked to that even while gaming, obviously being super low fps at that time. I have to restart and I have tried looking at different settings to no avail.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have encountered the same problem once yesterday.
    Overwatch was only getting 20-30fps though normally i have 100+ fps. GPU-Z showed voltage/power and thermal throttling then, dont know why it did that.
    After a restart, everything was back to normal again.

3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Having owned the aw13 r3 with oled 1440p in a 13” screen, I’d disagree. Sure, the oled help the presentation on the image but 1440p made my image look 2x better than 1080p (of curse it was natively speaking)
    But even natively on the aw15 15” screen, 1080p on ultra appeared a bit fuzzy/blurry in some games.
    I’d rather take the small hit going there than the huge hit of 4K and it looks nearly as good as 4K (setting for setting).
    Personally I think we’ve been with 1080p toooo long for gaming in comparison to when laptops lost 16:10 ratio to 16:9 at 1368x768p. That was the standard and 1080p was like the 4K. But it didn’t take that long before 1080p became common.
    It’s the reason why our gpu generation has slowed down because if we’re stuck happily on 1080p there’s not much point going that far forward in power, which is what we want.
    Wouldn’t you want a game to run at 4K with excess of 144fps or are your eyes happy with 1080p and 144fps? Because for me personally I’d be happy to pla 4K with 80fps rather than 1080p 144fps.
    If I spend a lot of money. I have to see it. And I can always drop to 1080p if I need more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yay for wildly inaccurate shipping estimates! Just got the shipping email from Lenovo, my laptop shipped out today from China and the ups tracking says it will arrive by eod 4/22. Meanwhile my order status on Lenovos order tracker is "Ordered" with a ship date of 4/13 and speaking to support yesterday they said it would ship on 4/30... lol, oh well, cant wait for Monday!

Amanpreet likes this.
  5. Amanpreet

Amanpreet Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally

Romulox360 likes this.
  6. zoneykid

zoneykid Newbie

Reputations:
    This is may be a more odd question, does anyone else's fan make a fairly quiet high pitch whine at low speeds?
    It's pretty quiet so during the day it's fine, but I tend to leave my laptop on at night and it bothers me when I'm trying to fall asleep.
    Curious if this is normal or if I should open it up and see if there's some way to remedy it.

7. Amanpreet

Amanpreet Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you sure of fans making high pitched whine. High pitch whine usually source from any component which have a coil and fan certainly one of them. Do you keep laptop plugged in over night, try if you can pinpoint which part of laptop makes it. Cheers.

8. zoneykid

zoneykid Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm fairly confident it's the fan as the noise goes away when I ramp up the fans using fn+q and then as the fans wind down I can hear a high pitch tone.
    Overall the laptop it still quiet in day to day use, it's just the fans generating a specific frequency of noise.

9. Itzap

Itzap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have waited 776 posts for the discussion to come to this point. :)
    There aren't many informations in the web about it. Nearly everyone is happy that it is a quiet gaming laptop. That's why i have ordered it too. But no one is talking about idling.
    It seems normal for many people that the fans of a laptop which is doing like nothing and the CPU + GPU is below 50° C are still running and the laptop over all is producing noise.
    A sound sensitive guy like me will hear it all the time. I also want to let the laptop turned on over night. I even turn off my disk station every night and the super small fan there is nearly unhearable but it bothers me.

A handful people are reporting that this is annyoing for them. I still have tested some Alienware laptops, the Gigabyte Aero 15 X8, and some models of the razer blade series.
    For me they were so annoying under load - super high pitch fan noise / very loud fan noise but if you watch youtube, doing some stuff with your browser these laptops were 100% silent and the fans were off. (Expect some hard coil whine at the razer blade advanced model).

One guy at notebookcheck said that there is a chance to turn off the fans with third party tools like "Notebookfancontrol and RW Read & Write utility".

I am still waiting for my unit, but maybe you or someone else here can give it a try?

My hopes to this are not big because in the lenovo forum they still have tried tools like this at the 730 / 720 / 530 without success...

I don't know what's so hard to build a laptop - flat fan noise + not soo loud fans under load & totally quiet / passive cooled when cpu and gpu are "cold".

Yes i believe many people who read my posts will say: dude go and get a desktop pc full passive cooled / water cooled or get a tablet.
    I believe in the industry that they will build gaming laptops like in the past which meet these two criteria.
    The Y740 already seems to fulfill one of these requirements.

P.S.: Looks like that they finally started the rollout.

Best regards,
    Itzap

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 4:24 AM
  10. zoneykid

zoneykid Newbie

Reputations:
    Through your suggestion and some further googling I landed on this software https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc
    It's an interesting bit of kit that has a pretty thorough wiki, and using so far I've found that the fan speed values are on EC values 0x13 and 0x14.
    Unfortunately changing those doesn't do anything, so I may need to do further research to find the manual fan speed value.
    I have also discovered that 0x12 is what sets the fans to max speed.

I will try some more tomorrow, I might disassemble my laptop again to try and find the EC and get a datasheet on it, otherwise I might also try to find a way to lubricate the fans maybe.