Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, 6 cores with 12 threads. And gaming performance with the 8750H is very good, sacrificing HT for 2 more cores might improve gaming performance quite a bit, but lets see what intel does.
    Though the panel is 1080p, it offers a 144hz refreshrate, so more CPU performance wont go to waste. I wouldnt change the 1080p 144hz for any higher res panel, especially on the 15 inch version a higher resolution doesnt make sense (gaming wise).

2. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It’s actually an 8 more CPU on the higher end of things, which is what most gaming laptops would use.

IMO 1080p is a sweet slots cause running 1440p at 144HZ isn’t something most gaming laptops can do

3. En-TACT

En-TACT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    8 "more" (core) CPU -what's your source for that? I've come across the i7-9750H is 6 core, 12MB cache and furthermore, it's questionable whether it will have Hyper-threading.. we'll see next week hopefully.

4. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Order status still just says "Ordered" with a expected ship date of yesterday 4/13, wish they would have just left the date as 4/30 instead of getting my hopes up and with 4/12 then 4/13

5. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    I was talking about the i9 that I think we will see as a higher end option due to the large number of i9 options that will be released soon

6. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just called Lenovo AGAIN (Id love to see their notes about me on my order), ship date online still shows 4/13 but it hasn't shipped, the agent said that she checked with the shipping team and it will sip by 4/30 now. Asked to speak to a manager to get the 7% discount they offered last time increased since they missed both the 4/12 and 4/13 ship dates, got put on hold and she came back and raised the discount to 10%. I'm OK waiting if they keep raising that discount :)

Amanpreet and Kalen like this.
  7. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There isn't a large number of options. There is just the H and HK version. If those are the 8core cpu's for the 9th gen those are gonna be it, and you will probably end up paying a premium to get that over the i7 9750, which is still on 14nm

@Alex555
    and no if your on the 15inch train 1440p doesn't make sense...granted 15inch market doesn't make any sense in general but that's a whole different discussion.

Still a-bit unsure about that 500nit screen but that is probably about as good as we're gonna get if they role it out on the next gen.

8. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Darn, 14nm is growing old... They were stuck on 14nm for god knows how long. Hopefully 10nm is a worthy upgrade

9. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone else having issues of waking up with 400 MHz core and 300 MHz memory clock rates on the GPU? It's rather annoying to have to constantly open MSI Afterburner to check the speeds and potentially restart. Always goes back to the standard 960/7000 MHz after restarting but it shouldn't be doing that.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

10. scarletfever

scarletfever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why do you need to restart? Mine shows 300/405 when I wake from hibernate (I have a clevo), but I get max speeds when starting a game.