Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. pexx421

pexx421 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure where you are, but here in the us Lenovo offers a 3 year in home service warranty for 94$, which is 1/3 the price of dell, and 1/6 the price of Alienware’s.

Kalen likes this.
  2. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Everyone offers 1 year warranties...depending on where you live it can be 2 years.

MSI used to be 2 years factory warranty.

Most companies offer up to 3 years warranty and up to 3 years of accidental damage on gaming machines which are considered consumer equipment. Only exception I've seen is Dell. Not sure about batteries which are kinda slippery slope territory.
    Workstations can get up to 5 years and up to 2 years on the battery.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    prices for warranty extension in germany are the same (according to the lenovo software):
    Upgrading from 2 to 3 years costs 34€, and adding on site service for 3 years 59€. Both prices are very reasonable and fair, so after my return period i will definitely extend the warranty!

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My ship date is still 4/12 but is still just showing "Ordered", it hasn't moved to "Build" or anything like that yet, anyone else seeing the same?

5. pexx421

Reputations:
    Damn. I just called because I was considering canceling. I ordered the 17” because I thought it came with the sub but the 15 didn’t (silly, I know, but I’m a stickler for sound.... and found out I was mistaken). Well damn if they didn’t offer me another $145 off. So, 2k laptop that I’m getting for $1250 ($1350 after tax). That includes military discount, $100 gift card, $145 extra off. Damn. How could I cancel that?

Kalen likes this.
  6. Lappytappy6

Lappytappy6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure it does come with a sub though, you can see it here next to one of the fans(17" model)
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...0H-RTX-2080-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.410791.0.html

And yeah it comes down to what you value more, better hardware or better price. I've been waiting a really, really long time to get a new dedicated gaming pc, and I think I'd rather have better hardware, especially since the time gap between when I bought it and when it gets improved, is so short that the system is basically outdated by the time it ships.

7. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Having a sub doesn't do much if you don't have a good external sound setup in the first place.

8. pexx421

Reputations:
    For me, good speakers are important. I don’t expect it to compete with my kefs and my hsu sub, or my chanes and emotiva, but I expect to be able to enjoy the sound reasonably while gaming. Some laptops I’ve had were good enough, like my xps l502x, while others like my sager clevo p650 were just painful to listen to. In those situations with tinny weak speakers it’s irritating the whole time.

9. Dlflyboy

Dlflyboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone that has the Y740 17 w/the rtx2070MQ have high thermals when gaming? I did have the Asus 17.3 Strix Scar 2 w/ the 2060, but then after about a week found the same one with the rtx2070 for about the same price. So, I returned the 2060 for that one. But, the 2070 CPU temps would get up to 95 degrees on occasion and that worried me. I read where some folks repaste, but that seems akward to have to do on a brand new machine. I've never owned an Asus or Lenovo, so as far as warranty and customer service goes I'm not sure which is better. I've always had good experiences out of Alienware, but you also seem to pay more for the brand. The Strix Scar 2 seems to have a really good price point for what you get. It just seemed to run on the hotter side. It would find around 70-85 just browsing and watching YouTube.

I'm hoping the Y740 has better thermals.

And I also got the 3 yr on-site warranty with the Y740. The laptop a d warranty came out about the same as the Asus was and I didn't purchase an extended warranty on that .

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  10. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    wouldn't buy the 2070 version its only 10% faster than the 2060. From what I remember repasting doesn't do much on y740. Asus doesn't even offer extended warranties last time I checked. They definitely don't offer Asus care at least in North America.

If you check the earlier threads most note the y740 to have pretty good thermals.

Also there are delays on on the y740 some folks aren't getting theirs till at least May, I know I put my order in Last month and mine shows a delivery date of May 2nd. So if you haven't bought it I would just wait for a new model.