Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Lappytappy6

Lappytappy6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, almost 30% performance increase seems crazy and will likely solidify the cancellation of my current order if nothing can be done to upgrade it to the new cpu. It'd annoy me to have a new product that was already outdated by the time it actually shipped.

On the flip-side I wonder if the i7-9750H is going to get even hotter and more difficult to cool, especially if it is just stuck into laptops that were designed to meet the needs of the previous intel gen.

2. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don`t think the 9750H will be that much faster than the 8750H unless the 8750H had severe throttling issues. From the specs so far it seems the 9750H has 200MHz higher turbospeed on one core and perhaps even higher than 200MHz on all cores and it has 12mb vs 9mb L3-cache. Specs are in between 8850H and 8950HK. My Guess would be 5-10% higher performance in apps and in games With a 2080-GPU. Lenovos excellent cooling-performance means we will probably not see any temp-throttling, but TDP under combined CPU\GPU-loads will probably be an issue.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-8950HK-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8750H/m486215vsm470418

If Lenovo use it in the Y740 and leave power-limits etc like before, then performance would be very similar in games due to TDP-limit and slightly better in apps when GPU is not running. If Lenovo decides to increase TDP on CPU while gaming we might see and improvement at lower settings and resolutions, at very high settings there will probably be no difference since Lenovo uses the 2080max-q 80W-version which is not CPU-bottlenecked by the 8750H at high settings\high res.

mctsimo1 and scarletfever like this.
  3. TechnoWhore

TechnoWhore Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've seen several reviews on youtube where they comment on this or/and you can see this yourself when they open and close the lid.

4. pexx421

pexx421 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Strange, d2d, mat moniiz and own or disown all said it was a good build quality.

5. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's definitely a good build quality for sure; it's just that the hinge is a little on the loose side and if you open it up, it will bounce for a second. It's nothing bad at all and nothing to be worried about, just a small nitpick.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

6. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah but it’s not really excessive unless your using resistance.
    I’ve seen other notebooks with this. Only difference is if the laptop is bad all around then that doesn’t help. Where as if it’s good then it’s not really a big deal it’s just picking out something to be critical about if it has to because no laptop is perfect. And for some people they may want to see the quality in build like that. But it’s thin laptop (the lid is at least)
    But as I type this I just thought it’s better to have some screen flexibility than non because if it did have enough resistance on a firmer lid. Would it be more likely susceptible to damage to the screen/frame bending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    fair point a stiffer hinge could cause panel damage or damage connectors. Like some MacBooks suffer. Or other laptops that use mixed medias of plastic and metal stresses on the plastic causing it to break off.

8. Itzap

Itzap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey people,

sorry to ask this again but in the last 3 months it seems no one can give a clear answer to a really simple question. :)
    As i red a comment last weekend im not sure if i will cancel my order or not.

Are the fans always running (when the laptop is turned on) ?
    Doing nothing, Idle, light work.

Would be nice if someone could answer this finally to me. With hw monitor or another tool you can check the RPMs if you don't hear it.

Thanks!

Nice week for you, i hope for everyone who's waiting that they will reduce the estimated shipping date.

9. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Fans are likely always on just running so low during idle or low work. Because the Legion so far according to reviews has been said to be a very quiet and cool system.

10. Itzap

Itzap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, really this is the first clear answer to this easy question. :)
    I have red a lot that it is super quiet (Bobs words) in idle but my ears are special sensitive and when the laptop is doing nothing i couldn't understand why the management isn't turning them off.

The fans of the current competitors gigabyte, razer, alienware, are totally off during low work. Before the CPU / GPU doesn't hit 55° C.
    Little bit sad that the Y740 isn't able to turn them off even not in optimus mode.
    But we or just i have to decide - quieter fans in high loads or totally passive cooled but high pitched fans at the other laptops.