Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Claus_Valca

Claus_Valca Newbie

Reputations:
    @scarletfever & @Alex555 thank you both for digging up the Bob of all Trades video. That will be a great help to me following alongside the ThrottleStop guide.

I plan to make my way back through his (and other in-game) video reviews that have comments on tweaks made to the Y740 and take notes on the voltage tweaks they mention that highlighted undervolting for cooling and (again, slight) battery life gain.

A very long time ago I had built a Shuttle SFF system that I think offered some CPU voltage tweaks possible to set in the BIOS so I assumed that is where these adjustments were made. Never would have even thought to look for a utility like ThrottleStop.

(un)Fortunately, with my end-of-April delivery date, it looks like I have some time to work on the homework you have given me.

Cheers!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    *Updated* Just got off the phone with them, as usual they were unable to provide an exact reason for the delay but assured me they would ship as soon as possible, estimated date is still 4/30. After asking to speak with a supervisor I was offered a discount for the inconvenience. I am keeping my order and will wait it out, especially now with the additional discount. Their website still says ships in 3 weeks, which is obviously misleading so if you are thinking about ordering one just keep in mind that it will most likely not ship within 3 weeks.

Checked my email this morning and got this from Lenovo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Unfortunately, we haven't been able to ship all or part of your order. You are a valued customer, and we are working to ship your order as soon as possible.

However, if we don't hear from you within the next five days, Federal regulations require us to automatically cancel the remainder of your order. If you'd like to keep your order open, just send us an email by clicking below.

Current ship date is still April 30th. On the phone with them now trying to get more information.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How much was your discount worth?
    And what’s there been anybody in the uk able to get a discount and of what value from the delays?
    I rang up once but never spoke to a supervisor so just trying to gauge what I can expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The new discount was ~$111 US, don't remember the exact amount but will update later when they email confirmation if its different. The first time I asked for a manager they said the manager couldn't give me any additional information on my ship date, I told them that was fine and all but I wanted to speak to a manager or someone that could authorize a discount or warranty extension for the extreme delay and inconvenience they have caused me, they said they would talk to their manager and put me on hold, they returned and said they got approval for the discount. This discount is in addition to the $530 US from my Military Family discount not sure if that affects the discount that they offered me but just putting it out there.

sisqo_uk likes this.
  5. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really look forward to the 7nm GPUs from Nvidia, except for very good thermal\noise-performance on the Y740 the small performancegains in games is not currently worth it for me. 5-7dB lower noise during load is tempting. Been searching for reasons to buy a Y740 for weeks now, hmm, guess I should way a bit.

6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thing is when is NVidia going to release the next gen GPU’s?
    If it’s another 2-3 years in between like last time not sure if it’s worth waiting , but always do best for you.

Vasudev and Kalen like this.
  7. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Given RTX mobile chips literally just got released, i don't think you're going to see new GPUs for a very long time. It sounds like you don't really need a laptop though, so maybe just hold off, but entirely up to you. I'm in the same boat. I have a desktop I'm using, but just don't have much of a reason to get a laptop just yet.

taraquin, Vasudev and Kalen like this.
  8. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it will take less time than that. Nvidia released Maxwell i fall 2014, mobile launched shortly after. Pascal came in spring 2016 and mobile in late summer, mobile performed almost on pair with desktop. Turing mobile launched half a year later and performance of the mobile-parts are way below desktop-parts. Problem with turing\RTX is that the improves in efficiency was very small compared to pascal. 12nm is not actually 12nm but rather a slightly refined 16nm. 7nm is an actual shrink of size and will allow for much higher speeds in laptops compared to turing. I hope to see next gen early next year and mobile perhaps next summer, that would have been awesome ;)

9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone played the division 2 on their y740. Just want to compare stock performance without undervolt or any overclock. I’m getting mine with a 2070 mq. But I don’t mind a 2060 for comparison.
    If you can run the in game benchmark in dx 11 and then 12 on ultra preset I’ll appreciate that.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ended up returning the 2070 Max-Q and kept the 2060 as the performance difference was literally 3-4 fps in Division 2 specifically and a fair bit less costly. Anthem was about 5 fps better with the 2070 Max-Q. After they offered a further reduction to keep the 2060 it made the difference in price a staggering $376 so Lenovo made the decision for me lol

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

sisqo_uk and IKAS V like this.