Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. scarletfever

scarletfever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, that’s insane lol.

2. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Grobas

Grobas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, this might explain the delays especially when Intel have to start baking 9th gen mobile cpus in parallel with 8th gen. I guess their manufacturer capacities are running on 100% now and they still can't meet the industry demands, which is not good for end user in so many ways..

Kalen likes this.
  4. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yea, uh huh... as you say...

5. Bariton

Bariton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 17inch indeed has larger bezels, larger then the 15inch. But they are still alot smaller then laptops of previous generation like msi gt72.

Every review I read says it has good build quality. Maybe you were just unlucky, dunno.

6. Claus_Valca

Claus_Valca Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings all,

Many thanks for all the members who have created this incredible community around the new Levono Y740 laptop!

I've joined the forums out of appreciation and in the hopes I can learn from everyone here.

Like others, I had settled on Lenovo's Y740 (15") laptop as a new next-level laptop upgrade for my humble stable of equipment. That decision was made in no small part due to the open and excellent reviews and feedback posted here by everyone.

In December I actually had a standing order with Dell for a maxed out Alienware 15 laptop with the Intel i9-8950HK process, 32GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X Max-Q card.

Then I saw review after review about the heat/cooling performance, etc. and for the $$$ being dropped on it, had a serious change of heart, cancelled the order, and went back to the search.

After a few months I found what seems to still be a powerful sleeper notebook that is the Y740 and was impressed enough to order it since it seemed to balance the size, styling, cooling, and performance I was really looking for.

A order was made for a maxed out Y740 15" in March at under 1/2 the price (with all the service and warranties added) of the Alienware 15 model and my original Lenovo ship date was March 19th. Like others, that has now slipped to April 30th. But I remain stoked and will keep patiently waiting.

In the meantime I'm continuing follow this forum thread daily to learn things and consume the additional reviews that are trickling in.

I'm an experienced sysadmin in my daily life and my personal systems are an older maxed out Dell Studio 13 (1558) running 8 GB RAM and an older Intel Core i7 720QM. I also have a Dell XPS 17" L702X laptop running 16 GB RAM and another older Intel Core i7-2820QM processor. Both still run fast (SSD's are amazing performance boosters) and solid after all these years on Win 10 after all these years. The Studio remains my "daily driver" with it's size and the larger XPS is my field unit when I need to do heavier work.

I would like to ask you all for some needed guidance and help with the Y740 I've ordered.

I've not been able to get into over/under-clocking with my current systems, nor have I really needed to.

However, after all the most excellent reports and feedback from this forum, it seems that I'd really like to take advantage of the (slightly) longer battery life and (slightly) cooler operating temperatures the Y740 offers by underclocking the CPU slightly -- if I'm understanding what I've been reading and seeing reported in the video reviews is correct.

Since that isn't something I've done before, does anyone have any basic guides, video-walkthroughs, or recommended reference materials you could share with me on a sweet starting point to safely step though a stable set of changes needed on a Y40 system to accomplish that?

I think there would be awesome value for those of us who know enough to be dangerous with our systems but are inexperienced enough to do damage. I've downloaded the Y740 manual and am working my way through as I wait, but your wisdom and experience could same me worlds of frustration and grief as I get started down that path! I'm also old enough to have learned the value in asking for gracious help from others.

Likewise I see a lot of comments about folks doing a wipe and OS/driver reload to ensure it starts out clean...as well as comments about uninstalling some of the extra system/hardware management packages it comes with. I'm totally cool with that.

Any recommendations or pros/cons from Y740 users on what system software is worth keeping or shedding? Or would it be worth my while to just drive it around stock for a while

I'm hopeful that when my own Y740 finally arrives I can do some posts as well about it and pay this community back.

Cheers!

7. scarletfever

Reputations:
    I don’t have the y740 but undervolting is extremely easy. Google the notebookcheck ThrottleStop guide. For the most part you’re basically just lowering the cpu core and cache voltage by -.125, and as long as that’s stable you’re good to go. You can undervolt less if you’re getting BSOD. there’s a ton more customization options but in its simplest form thats what you’d do. There’s also like a 900 page ThrottleStop thread on these boards.

8. Claus_Valca

Claus_Valca Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you scarletfever! I've found the ThrottleStop guide you referenced and am going through it now.

9. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Undervolting really is an easy way to improve temperatures.
    Here a nice video from Bob of all Trades explaining undervolting step by step ( )

gthirst likes this.
  10. scarletfever

Reputations:
    Bob has a pretty good video on undervolting the GPU as well, but I found that process to be a little more confusing until I did some more research on the msi afterburner voltage curve. I'm still not convinced mine is set up perfectly.