Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. victorgm

victorgm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK and PJPeter like this.
  2. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There should be control through the "Lenovo Vantage" software, I found that referenced in information about the Y730 but haven't seen it confirmed for the Y740 yet. "Nerve Center" is the old software from the older models.

Hopefully someone can confirm it soon.

Thanks very much for sharing and your thanks, I'm happy to hear I've helped :). I wish I could do more, I just didn't realize the release of the RTX2060 units was being delayed to make sure the more expensive models sell first.

Here is a direct link to the translation for anyone who wants it:
    https://translate.googleusercontent...700248&usg=ALkJrhjW-BqgTt5Vn6Jud4r3MW_k_Lg6KA

Thanks,
    Peter

3. Grobas

Grobas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just finished reading. Good review and I can't be more happier with my decision to go with Lenovo Y740 and not GS75.
    There was mentioned Y750..... intriguing...

PJPeter likes this.
  4. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very true. I wonder if they'll bump the number to Y750 when Intel releases their newest H notebook CPUs in a few months or if that'll just be a minor refresh (and Y750 is the 2020 model).

I was thinking last night that if I have to wait till almost April to get my Y740, if the new parts get released before my 30 day return window is up... :p

Peter

5. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's someone who had issues with the Y740 Switchable graphics - it includes the link to where it change it in the BIOS and what they had to do to keep the system from freezing:

"I just received my brand new Legion Y740 17"!

From reading the guide at https://support.lenovo.com/dk/da/solutions/ht076090 I was under the assumption that I could switch to integrated graphics, so as to save power when on the go and I didn't need g-sync running and forcing the GPU on at all times.

After rebooting with "switchable graphics" enabled in BIOS, programs become unresponsive. I have to hold down the power button to even shut down the computer. Even though I can click on shutdown, it does nothing. Do anyone have an idea about what's going on, or if I should just resign this feature?

EDIT: In the end I would like to be able to set the "Prefered Graphic Processor" in Nvidia Control Panel to integrated Gfx for battery life"

- https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming...able-graphics-causes-unresponsive/m-p/4359564

I had read elsewhere that it seems in the Lenovo Vantage software in Windows 10 people also had this option already. Worth checking out if you have a unit and see which works/gives better battery life (while still having full gaming performance).

It's too bad we don't have the little amber/white light like the MSI GS65 which shows the GPU status (amber when the dGPU is active and white when the iGPU is active).

I can see a lot of people complaining about performance if it's not properly switching to using the dGPU when they game.

Peter

6. dodgehemi0

dodgehemi0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well took the plunge and got one, it’s hard to pass up the price for an RTX 2080 and to top it off I get 25% off with military. 2100 with tax with 1yr premium and accidental warranty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you guys post some 3dmark firestrike and timespy scores with an overclock on your 2070 max-q y Y740 15 machines please?

Would like to see how it compares to my TongFang chassis with the same GPU

FYI, I get these results with +165 +650 on my lappy:

FS: 18 441
    TimeSpy: 6 982 ( grapics score only for both)

We should see similar results as both chassis are doomed with the 80W TDP limitation on this variant of 2070 MQ

Cheers guys and enjoy your new Lenovos!

8. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey! Did a quick unboxing with the help of my wife:

My first youtube video :p
    Enjoy the chill stock youtube music!

L I K E + S U B S C R I B E !!!! (no don't or do I don't care)

Here is the description:
    Speccy Summary
    Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU i7-8750h
    Intel Core i7 @ 2.20GHz 55 °C Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
    RAM 16.0GB
    Motherboard LENOVO LNVNB161216 (U3E1)
    Graphics
    Lenovo Display 1920x1080 (1920x1080@144Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design (Lenovo) 47 °C
    Storage 931GB Seagate ST1000LM049-2GH172 (SATA (SSD)) 26 °C
    238GB SAMSUNG MZVLB256HAHQ-000L2 (RAID (SSD))

Quick Review:
    Pros:
    Great build quality, with exception listed below.
    Nice feeling snappy keys.
    Light for massive size.
    Nice cold aluminum.
    iCue RGB goes nicely. I have this software on all my computers due to my headset, keyboard, and mouse all supporting iCue.
    Very nice bright screen, with two caveats below.
    Fits in Everki Titan Messenger Bag and Alienware Vindicator 17" easily.
    Not a fingerprint magnet - except for the touch-pad.
    Vantage software has a 1 click or hotkey for "cool boost" mode, which turns fans to full blast (very loud!)

Cons: Horrible bezels. The 17" should mimic the 15" and do away with the top camera.
    Massive immediately noticeable light bleed on first boot.
    Many bloat ware- suggest doing a clean install and spending some time tweaking the OS to your liking.
    Noticeable coil whine, but nothing I can't deal with. Will monitor under stress.
    Steaming HDR only. Confusing since Lenovo touts "Dolby Vision HDR!" Very disappointing and nullifies the advantage completely.

Overall I like the laptop, but I'm not super impressed. I'm reserving my verdict until after some benchmarks and real world performance. The light bleed guarantees that I'll be dealing with customer service and I'm not looking forward to it.

Still to come: Thermals, Benchmarks
    Currently downloading 3DMark, driver updates, Anthem, and Battlefield V

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ELtf8b0
    Light Bleed
    Everki Bag
    Alienware Backpack
    Lenovo Vantage Software (Coolboost)
    HDR Settings Control Panel
    etc

edit:
    Bios pics to come soon, currently doing an Intel XTU stress test. Power Limit Throttling after about 5 seconds.
    edit 2:
    undervolt offset to -0.05 seems to have eliminated power limit throttling. 10 minutes of testing at 75C, fans at about medium loudness.
    edit 3:
    I don't want to speak too soon, but I'm impressed. PL Throttle came back at -.05 after a minute or two. I went to -.140 (as per i7-8750h standard!) and the fans became quiet and temps under 70C stable.
    edit 4:
    In a dumb turn of events, the Vantage program seems to have auto updated adding advertisements and removing the cooler boost button. Dafuq.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Arondel, PJPeter and woody2521 like this.
  9. woody2521

woody2521 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi gthirst

Thanks for all that juicy info

I have ordered the same spec as yours. My main concern is the coil whine you mentioned.
    How bad is it? Could you record it and post it?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    edit 5: uploaded a bunch of other pictures and ran firestrike. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/18330316
    Never went over 74C, undervolt at -.140 score: 16383