Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. woody2521

woody2521 Newbie

Reputations:
    And another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raz8020 likes this.
  2. Rhylin

Rhylin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I have a stable Undervolt of -0.150

Sometimes the Fans kick in under gaming and other times it doesn't, it's inconsistent. I'm surprised there isn't any software from Lenovo that'll control them better.

3. mgear356

mgear356 Newbie

Reputations:
    ordered one in singapore 15 y740 2070 max-q.

seeing dave vs matt;s review, seems like matt's unit is a lemon? his scores and fps are lower than dave's although both are 2070 variant.

4. nr6576

nr6576 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As I know the option is locked by nvidia, though you can still overclock.

5. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got the refund for the 17" today and was going to order the 15", but it is showing a 3 week wait. I'll wait and see, but I might just wait until later in the year for the ninth gen refresh and other screen options.

6. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I meant the curve. If you flatline the voltage/mhz curve in AB you can force the gpu to for instance run at 1750MHz at max 800mv. What is the maximum operating voltage of the maxq?

7. notabenem

notabenem Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Apart from the increased cache there is one more interesting thing to look at.

Notice that the higher CTP is followed by significantly higher clock speeds. Given the same technology (14nm) and the likely comparable die size, heat dissipation will still remain a major issue. Taking current laptop's cooling abilities, I'd say all of these CPUs will start to thermal throttle at about 3.9GHZ (in a better case) - all cores driven. To find out the expected performance at 3.9Ghz lets do the simple math:
    CTP(i7-9750H@3.9Ghz) = 386,967*3.9/4.5 => 335,371. Similarly, CTP(i7-8750H@3.9Ghz) is: 327,433*3.9/4.1 => 311,460, which means a ~7% gain over the current model. It's still an improvement, but i wonder, if the price difference will not be much more than this 7%... Sure, for short time jobs the temporary boost will make this CPU snappier. For extended loads, however, no miracles.

As for the i9 models, they perform worse in current thermally limited notebooks than the i7. I don't expect a major change here. Given the same lithography, higher core size I wouldn't be surprised to see even more heat and more throttling.
    All in all, this seems like a good time is coming to grab a new laptop. First wait for the debut of the 9750h and then grab a laptop with the i7-8750h with a nice discount.

8. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What happened to the comparison against the AW m51?
    I know they are in completely different leagues but is the extra cost worth it performance wise?
    You can basically get 2 Lenovo’s maxed out for a maxed M51.

9. nr6576

nr6576 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know. At least in Afterburner, I can do nothing with the curve.
    I saw 1740mhz when I used MadVR with Potplayer. MadVR or Potplayer will automatically overclock? Weird.

10. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am interested in getting a Y740 (17 inch, 2080 version) - Are there any news about the Display issues?
    And is there a recall for the laptop (motherboard issues?)?
    Are there any news on the 17 inch version in general?