Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The owner on Reddit did report coil whine when GPU is in use. He mentioned noise similar to his previous laptop (though he didn't post precisely which that was to compare). Battery results are there also:

"BatteryEater reported 4 hour 40 minutes for the READER test on 50% brightness." (Before undervolting)

He reported there is a "Hybrid" GSync option to save battery where GSync is only turned on when gaming (really sounds like a software implementation of Optimus).

Lifting the laptop a little resulted in better airflow, lower temps and quieter fans - so having a small folding tray or we such may really help on that front.

Exciting to have some real benchmarks and reports from an owner.

Peter

2. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My suspicion is that for the Y740 15" model they are only producing/shipping RTX2070 units currently. I haven't been able to find the Y740 RTX2060 units actually in stock anywhere - and my RTX2060 orders appear to be for immediate dispatch, but once I've paid they update to late March delivery.

The Y740 15" RTX2070 model is now showing as sold out in my region (Canada).

I realized I'm actually eligible for Teacher pricing since my wife is a teacher so I've placed a new order with 3 year onsite and ADP coverage. It was only $7 difference for 3 year Onsite vs. Depot warranty so it was a no-brainer. Price is only a little more than my original order because of the ADP - should be worth it - if I decide to keep the laptop I plan to keep it a long time. Plus my CC gives an additional 1 year of warranty on whatever the base is so I've basically got 4 years of full coverage for $140 CAD.

We'll just see when I finally get it.

Peter

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    sisqo_uk likes this.
  3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When anyone receives their unit.
    Fancy trying out the timely benchmar with newest drivers.
    Wanna see the time spy “graphics” results not timespy “score” results or a pic will be fine.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. xaqutor

xaqutor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    for some reason there is a massive markup for lenovo products in New Zealand, so the 2080 max-Q version costs 10% more than the aero 15 with 2080 max-Q in NZ :(

5. Grobas

Grobas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are lucky, at least you can order 2080mq. In my country Lenovo Y740 comes only with 2060 or 2070mq max, while in neighbouring country only 2070mq or 2080mq. Beats me how their marketing department works...

6. xaqutor

xaqutor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    are u looking at the 15 or 17 inch version? because only the 17 inch version has a 2080 max-q

7. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the 17" with 2080maxQ arriving tomorrow. I'll do some testing and try to push it to throttle. I've had bad experience with i7-8750h thin+lights, so we'll see.

I'm going to start off completely stock, then undervolt. Will run 3dmark (gotta get that firestrike score), userbenchmark, Intel XTU stress test. If anyone has specific requests I'll post them.

I'm excited to try Anthem out on it. If it performs well enough I'm going to cancel my Alienware Area-51m order, but my plan is to have them side by side and put them both to the test. If the y740 suits my needs, I'll toss the Alienware. I don't really like the look of the 17" y740 though. The bezels are huge judging from the website. The 15" looks much nicer, but doesn't have the 2080. It seems the 15" is probably an amazing value with the 2060, but I want a little bit more power.

PJPeter likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Can you tell me if there's fan control to manually set fanspeed to maximum in the included / available to download software package(s)?

gthirst likes this.
  9. Grobas

Grobas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Because 15" comes with chin camera while 17"with camera in normal location ruining the looks.

Personally l I don't understand why they even are putting these potato cameras. Majority of ppl would agree to sacrifice them for more better looks and save couplet of bucks.

If I need video I will definitely purchase external HD camera just because inbeded cams are just crap.

10. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah it is incredibly stupid that they continue to put those on there. The Asus Zephyrus GX701 dropped the camera and comes with a much nicer external. That was the one I was originally interested in, but its about $1200 more than the y740 with the same specs. Lenovo has great discounts, Asus not so much.

I'm F5ing the tracking info every few hours :p Should be here anywhere from 10 to 18 hours from now!

I'm installing Anthem and BF5 first. Will do a heft amount of benchmarking. I have a few papers due Friday though, so that comes first!