Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can live with turning a setting or two down to maintain my preferred level of performance. 60 series GPUs suite me because I have no issue making these small adjustments versus justifying the premium asked for a 2070mq.

IKAS V and raz8020 like this.
  2. Naeem Chandani

Naeem Chandani Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Honestly the only thing great about the 70/80 cards is the Vram headroom to crank up resolution/quality settings

3. alu72

alu72 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good luck! I ordered mine last time it was available in Sweden on the 14th. After said 7 days I got a mail saying they didn't know when it would ship. Two weeks after ordering I asked if they still didn't know the shipping date and they told me "maybe 31th of march". Then I cancelled. But perhaps the reappearance in the online shop means Lenovo is catching up. It will be interesting to see when you receive yours.

4. Naeem Chandani

Naeem Chandani Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    48585869-4484-4529-AE38-8CE37685A2D8.jpeg Testing out The Division 2 beta today. UNDERVOLT of -.140 and max fans,, all settings turned to ultra and I’m getting 50-60fps with CPU temp at 75 and GPU at 66

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  5. Bariton

Bariton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered a Lenovo y740 17inch at their website but canceled it after receiving message of 6 weeks delay. Ordered a custom build with 2070maxq, 512ssd and 32ram. Now I bought one in the local shop (Netherlands) with 2070maxq, 512ssd and 16ram. Ill upgrade it to 32ram next month. I use it for work and went for the 2070maxq because of the extra vram. 8gb instead of the 6gb on the 2060. I use Civil 3D and InfraWorks. Not interested in Quadro's because they don't add anything I need but that's another story. Worked years with Quadro's and GTX cards and they both crash just as often.

Anyway, the Lenovo y740 is a great laptop. It's pretty well build with little flex to the display. Colors are great and the screen is rocksteady at 144 Hz. I did find it a bit dark at 50% brightness and set it to 60% brightness. Compared to my old MSI GT72 its a much better looking laptop. Weight is about the same, so yes, its a heavy laptop due to materials used. I don't mind because I walk to my car or to the office after parking. But it may be a bit heavy when traveling by train or bus.

Performance wise it blows my old 980m out of the water. Its twice as fast in benchmarks like 3DMark and I really notice it during work. But not alone faster, its much more quiet to. My old GT72 was really loud and I think the Lenovo is half as loud. As for the loudness of the Lenovo itself, during normal use you don't hear it. It only gets louder, but not as loud as the GT72, when the proc is used at 100%. I'm very happy with that.

But its not all perfect. Sound wise its a bit of a let down. Sure its sounds crispy but nowhere as great as my old GT72 which has much more base. The MSI sounded balanced and could fill the room. The Lenovo sounds shallow.
    The numpad is awkward to, but maybe because I'm used to the excellent keyboard on the GT72. On the Lenovo the numpad is to the top of the keyboard, so night right side but right top side. I'm pressing 4, 5 and 6 instead of 7, 8 and 9. But I guess that's because I used the MSI for 4 years. I also miss the second 'enter' key at the numpad.

The first one I bought at the shop had a weird thing though. When opening a window about 4 or 5 pixels at camera height turned white. When moving the window they showed right color again. But when done dragging they turned white again. Closing the window made it disappear again. Went back to the shop and got a new one. As for backlight bleed, there isn't any.

Romulox360 and Arondel like this.
  6. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone do a battery test on optimus mode? Thanks

7. judgefudge101

judgefudge101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok. So I finally got my y740 rtx2070 max q with 16 gb ram and 256 see 1tb hdd.
    I live in Australia and I ordered it on Tuesday, arrived at my office on Friday. The night before it arrived I watched that terrible review from that Swedish guy on YouTube and thought oh man please let it just be him as unfortunate as that it.
    Ladies and gents, it was just him.
    This thing performs unlike any laptop in its calibre. A little undervolting the the i7 according to bobs video (It's the 850 something not at home and very early in the morning so my brain don't think no good right now) and the thermals along with the fps on games like anthem, bfv and insurgency sandstorm (All I've gotten to download so far) is out of this world. I run ultra on everything but anthem, anthem set to high because the optimisation is garbage (the singleplayer offline tutorial portion I played ultra and was above 70fps for most of it with only twice dipping into the high 50's but once the open world multiplayer part sets in and your on some random server the frames are all over the place but that's not the computers fault that's just a bad game. Thermals stay in the 70s Rarely going to low 80s, thats for the cpu, gpu was incredibly cool at 60.

Bfv ran butter smooth on dx11, a little bit sporadic on dx12, Ray tracing really smacks the crap out of this thing and I don't recommend it personally. Frames were in the 90s with a median average of 77 I'd say, when a lot of buildings are blowing up it can suddenly drop but I think that's again EA and their just really great and not at all complete garbage servers. Thermals stay in the low 70s on cpu Lower on gpu.

I benchmarked time Spy and firestrike (standard not extreme) and according to all other 2070 max q results on notebook review (is that the one that has the really good benchmarks and testing scores for all gpus? Cant remember too tired from gaming all night :))
    So according to those scores against the aero and the Razer blade all the other 2070 max q's my y740 crushes them.
    15993 on fire strike, 3000 more then my alienware 1070 r3.
    Time spy was 6921, very good for this you, undervolting is king!

And the light bleed, it exists but what did you expect guys its a thin and I mean THIN 144hz 300nits display on an aluminum chassis, it exists but not as bad as people are saying at least not for me.

Just wanna thank everyone here also, there are no reviews that are any good out there except the one on YouTube about the 2080 version but there are zero reviews about this 2070 thing with benchmarks and stuff. Had to come here just to get info so only right i maKe an account and report my findings in thanks.

Peace yall

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
    Romulox360 and Kalen like this.
  8. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’ll say this is one of few laptops that I bought for review that I wasn’t thinking about when to sell it and cover the next project.

I have to keep this one a bit.

^^^ My review Aero 2070mq hits low-mid 16k Firestrike with ease, no tweaks.
    This y740 with a 2060 hit low 15k. Pretty close!

Romulox360 likes this.
  9. judgefudge101

judgefudge101 Newbie

Reputations:
    I love your vids dude thanks for all your work!

B0B likes this.
  10. victorgm

victorgm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys! thanks for the reviews! happy to hear some good reports of the Y740!

Im doubting if going for it or not...as an architect, I thought on going for the Y740 17", and today in Germany there are -150€ discounts!

The RTX2060+256GB SSD costs 1800€ (normal price 1950€), while the RTX2070+1TB+256GB SSD (without OS) costs 1850€! (np 2000€)

On the other side, the 15" with RTX2060+256GB SSD costs 1790€ (1940€) and the RTX2070+512GB SSD costs 2030€ (2230€)

Is it not the price of the 17" RTX2070 worth it? just 50€ more than the RTX2060 and cheaper than the 15"....my main doubt is that it will take 4 weeks to be delivered...I could wait, but the question is if it would be better to wait until April/May to know if the Y740 will be updated with the new i7-9750H....what do you think? could it offer a better performance with less heat? will the price be much higher?

Last questions for the 17" owners: have you checked how long last the battery without GSYNC?

Many thanks!