Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. GodnesS

GodnesS Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have an issue with the W button getting stuck while the temps go high while playing?
    I have this issue in a few games but its most noticeable in Rocket league where the car keeps going forward even after the W key is not pressed.
    I have verified that this issue is hardware related by using another keyboard for a long time and the issue did not repeat, i have also contacted rocket league support and went through a whole bunch of software related tests and fixes to make sure its not a software issue (and the problem went away when using another keyboard)
    I am considering sending the computer to be fixed because of this and the temps going off the charts when i am gaming (im talking 95+) and its impossible to use it
    if not undervolted and even then its uncomfortable.

I regret buying this computer so much, my old acer predator had so many more features and options, main one was to easily control fan settings and a keypad that doesn't mess up my typing habits built over 20+ years of using normal keyboards lol.
    I have the y470 17" 2070maxq version.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Phillyblunz

Phillyblunz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK, its power shunt time. Looks like I may need some help here.

I have the Y-740 I7 8750H, 2070MX.

So I have identified 4 R005 resistors on the circuit board.

-One small one is by the "DC power in" to the laptop, Bottom exposed side of the MB, under the heat sink right by the GPU fan.(Must remove cooler to access)
    -Another small one is by the "DC Battery Connector", Bottom exposed side of the MB, directly above the battery connector to the MB.(Only need to remove bottom cover to access)
    -Then I found two larger R005 resistors on the Top side of the MB, under the Metal foil.
    (Do not need to remove cooler to lift MB enough to access these)
    If the keyboard was invisible you would see these two resistors directly under the right side of the space bar.

What I have tried: (Liquid solder resistivity = 0.005ohm/cm)
    1-Use liquid solder on the two small Resistors on the bottom of the MB.
    This did not seem to have a noticeable effect. But a capacitor on the MB ended up blowing and had to be replaced by geek squad for $100. No report beyond that so cant say more on what damage occurred. (I removed the liquid solder before sending to repairs)
    2-Use liquid solder on the two large resistors on the top of the MB.
    This does not seem to have a noticeable effect.
    3-With step 2, if I use liquid metal on the r005 by the battery connector, the laptop will freeze if I try to start a game on battery power. So I removed the metal from the battery connector resistor. This to me is a good sign that its trying to draw more then the battery wants to give, so it looks like I gotta do the R005 by the main laptop "DC Power In".

My Dilemma:
    Geek squad did an amazing repaste job, they must have used all the new thermal pad thicknesses or something because my lappy has never run this cool before. It doesnt get to 90C in easy games anymore!, and the core temp evenness is amazing (7-9C spread, best I was getting before was 15C or so spread, some cores always ran hot no matter how many times I repasted.)

So do I risk ruining the repaste job? I would hate myself if it runs even slower after due to heat hahaha.

So we are getting close, anyone in here do this for this lappy yet?

3. Phillyblunz

Phillyblunz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You should be able to control fans with FN+Q unless you got updated bios, in which case you can just revert to the old bios. Its on Lenovo website. I am on 1.07 since I got the lappy and FN+Q is great for gaming and OC. Gives extra 10W too ;) (I have 8th gen CPU)

If you got 9th gen CPU you gotta go back to bios 1.03 I believe.

My laptop is the 15" and it runs nice and cool in my games, but if you play battlefield and stuff it can get toasty on the CPU. But that is easy to fix with max fans and UV.

GodnesS likes this.
  4. GodnesS

GodnesS Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for that!
    I actually sent my laptop to be fixed since its under guarantee and the W key keeps getting stuck for some odd reason + the heat issue.
    I heard about reverting the bios to get the FN Q combo to work, i tried taking it back to 1.06 but it didn't work so i figured it was a bust! i do have gen 9 and didn't know i had to go all the way back to 1.03.
    I will give it a try when the laptop comes back - I am assuming they will change the motherboard since here they don't bother fixing anything they just replace whatever is the issue.

5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just installed BIOS v1.11. Everything seem to work, including Fn+Q. Anyone know if it does anything special?

6. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody can recommend size and thickness of thermal pads?

I plan to repaste the cpu and gpu but I don't remember if there are any thermal pads factory applied and if not, where users successfully applied them.
    I can buy Gelid 0.5 or 1.0mm thermal pads/strips.

7. Itzap

Itzap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

look at reddit people are complaining v1.11 is removing the UV possibility.
    And reverting should kill the mainboard.

I have also updated to 1.11 without checking the posts and i have no problems. UV is still working.
    I think it‘s just about the next gen y740 (9750h and 10th gen). I have the 8750h version.

And about your question they have closed vulnerabilities with this update. I have checked which one it should remove the UV possibility for all laptop users i don‘t know why our version isn‘t affected by this, but i am happy that it still works as i haven‘t checked the news before. :rolleyes:

8. Itzap

Itzap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

i have repasted my laptop with phobya nano grease extreme nearly one year ago. The temps are like the day i have repasted.
    I bought the gelid extreme pads as well but i was afraid that they won‘t touch the mosfets. It is impossible to check if they full touch the chips, mosfest, the chipset...

If you want to try it check the post of user „a1san“ here in the forum. He recommend which thickness you should take. Sorry i am on mobile phone right now ortherwise i would have find it for you.

9. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Itzap

Thanks.
    I forgot I can search for keywords inside the thread, I will do it later today and find the proper size for thermal pads.

10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the 9750 and no issues here either. Oh well.

bryanryan likes this.