Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ericxps

ericxps Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Probably a typo but in balanced mode the GPU only draws 80 watts.

2. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I thankfully learned it was not the gpu was failing. But think it was hdr that I turned on in the windows options and all was fine. But I think I also did activate optimus as well.
    Is there a fix for this? Say if I wanted to turn on hdr.
    I feel quite silly adding the whole screws thing . Seriously I had the regular hard drive with an os on it and the nvme and I thought it was trying to boot both hence the initial problem. And because the screw didn’t go in smoothly I was convinced it was doing some damage cos every time I took it out it was fine.
    I reinstalled it and it’s all fine now.
    So I appreciate the response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you insist to use HDR mode, install NV driver 452.06
    its known (at least by me) for the last stable and normal driver version to use HDR mode.

4. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks I’ve screen shot it. Also do you think it’s worth using HDR or just sticking to having it off? I mean doesn’t it automatically activate when in games that have hdr settings like the division 2 for example, on my last model that had the 8750h 300nits the hdr wasn’t in the screen. But when I would play externally on my tv and hdr would activate on the screen. Although it was weird because it always seemed to be washed out colours as opposed to when off it was nice and vibrant. As if it was the wrong way around .
    I haven’t tested this yet since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ericxps

ericxps Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Since that windows HDR setting always has given me nothing but trouble I always leave it off. Games that support HDR let you enable it simply in game and it works.
    You only have to activate the windows setting if you wanna watch HDR videos.

sisqo_uk likes this.
  6. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I updated my nvidia drivers today; something broke completely. Can someone test this and let me know if they are running into same issue?
    - Set graphics to "Use dedicated GPU" (Instead of hybrid mode)
    - Connect external monitor (preferably one with G-Sync)
    - Disconnect external monitor

I have crazy flickering on the laptop panel. Only a restart will fix it and it will work fine until I connect a external display and disconnect again. wtf
    I tried using the Nvidia driver direct from Lenovo Website

7. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok, I believe it's fixed, updated the Intel GPU drivers too, no more flickering. Had to clear the Win Update cache for a looping bug that popped up. Seems good to go now!

EDIT: Nope! It's back :(
    Any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  8. Iwashere0

Iwashere0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've gotten that kind of flickering maybe once or twice when disconnecting my external DP monitor while the GPU is trying to render something, even something as simple as a youtube video.
    Since it's a relatively new problem (and rare at least for me), I'd either blame Windows or Nvidia drivers. If you already tried uninstalling with DDU and installing the stock drivers from Lenovo, I'd think it's a problem with Windows. Try disabling/enabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling, see if that helps.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  9. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Iwashere0

Iwashere0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The latest NVIDIA Game Ready Driver (457.51) includes a fix specific to this laptop.
    Release notes
    Download link