Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. SteelQ

SteelQ Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome, Thanks guys
    i saw many scores of firestrike, is it possible to break/reach the 20k mark in graphics score? i only saw 20k+ scores in the zephyrus gx701 but i didn't saw a fully tunned/tweaked 2080 legion, how it does in benchmarks? from factory i saw arround 18k scores
    sorry i got exited, can't wait for mine.

2. alexandrud

alexandrud Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is no need to block BIOS updates. I have the latest BIOS and undervolting is still possible. I don't see any other reason for blocking a BIOS update.
    Thermal modes can be switched also without installing Lenovo Utility or Lenovo Vantage. To verify this, press Fn+Q and see how PL1 Power Limit set in HWiNFO. Below is Quiet Mode, 25W.
    upload_2020-11-3_17-16-41.png

3. Iwashere0

Iwashere0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's pretty good to know. Do you get an indicator about what mode you're in or do you still need Lenovo Utility for the pop-up?

4. alexandrud

Reputations:
    There is no indicator. I just use HWiNFO and check the PL1 Power Limit. Base on this I know on which mode I am. I do no press Fn+Q very often, so it usually stays in Quiet Mode. I an using the laptop mostly for coding, and twice a year for gaming :)
    Fn+Q - Quiet mode
    GPU - 80W
    CPU - 25W PL1 and 45W PL2
    Fn+Q - Balanced
    GPU - 90W
    CPU - 60W PL1 and 80W PL2
    Fn+Q - Performance
    GPU - 90W
    CPU - 70W PL1 and 107W PL2

5. SteelQ

SteelQ Newbie

Reputations:
    i have a really thight data plan, also i really do want to know if its possible to block the updates or not

6. alexandrud

Reputations:
    A BIOS update is 1MB. Thight data plan :) Do not install Lenovo Vantage and you will not get any updates. But even with Lenovo Vantage I never saw updates installed without user consent.

7. SteelQ

SteelQ Newbie

Reputations:
    I see. Thank you for the answer

8. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Why nvidia still messing around with their latest firmware update?
    Latest stable (and normal) version is 452.06

Newer version than that has glitch and artifact problem especially when using dedicated GPU mode and HDR ON.

bryanryan likes this.
  9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi people. Been a LONG time since posting on here since I was without a laptop for over a year since owning one which was a y740.
    I have another one a year on. I just trying verify maybe a minor issue. I swapped out the stock ssd for my own. I had not put the screws back in the lid. But had been testing just in case I had to do a bit of drive recovery on the stock drive.
    After realising I had no issues after like 2 days of use. I put the screws incorrectly in the lid. I boot and the screen does the Lenovo splash screen. But rather than loading windows normally. It’s like the screen is black on jumping like there is a ribbon cable issue or faulty gpu symptoms.
    I removed a particular screw and it’s as though it fixed it. And started normally.
    It’s as though with the screws in it intermittently has this issue.
    When I put the stock drive in the load up issue never happened with the screws in. It’s an odd one because I haven’t had any issues with the ssd that I was using in my previous y740.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Like I’ve just turned it on and it loaded fine. I left it a while to text this message and the screen saver came on and the screen went black. I went to resume and now it’s doing it again. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. bryanryan

bryanryan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the screen works fine before Windows booting? I would say its then driver issue, Optimus and/or HDR enabled.

First turn off HDR, that is what caused mine to fail. Turn off Optimus and then roll back drivers/restore Windows to previous version

sisqo_uk likes this.