Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. contro

contro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wanted to update you guys my computer has been on for 20 Days so far and has not randomly shut down~

2. DefinityX

DefinityX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone posted the order for screwing in the heatsink screws on a repaste? I've been searching for it for a few days now, and haven't come across it any where...

3. ericxps

ericxps Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Its written on one of the chips heatsink. But in the end it doesn't really matter. Just go around and screw in one screw after another bit by bit.

4. SteelQ

SteelQ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. Im about to pull buy a y740 but theres a question that i can't find the answer to.

Is there any way to block the bios updates from windows? I've spoken with some owners and they told me that their 740 updated their bios with no warning even tho the updates were disabled in the vantage. Is there ny way to disable it from windows? Or some program that can disable it?
    Thanks beforehand i hope to join the 740 team soon

5. Itzap

Itzap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

i own the Y740 since may 2019.
    I don‘t know why other owners gave you this information but if you don‘t update the BIOS then it stays at the current version.
    For a BIOS update you need to activate automatically updates in Lenovo Vantage or you need to manually update it by downloading it from the lenovos website. I totally cannot confirm that lenovo has Whql certified their BIOS updates and i never saw them in a windows update.

I am using Lenovo Vantage software since day 1 - disabled automatic updates. I am updating my BIOS manually and stay on a version as long as i want.

Hope this helps you a little bit!

Best regards,

Itzap

6. SteelQ

SteelQ Newbie

Reputations:
    Tyvm Itzap
    I'll try to document all my findings i really like this laptop. You have a 17" or 15" model?
    I saw the 15" i work at a laptop reseller but i wanted to know about the 17" and i"ll try to make some videos for comprasion for other modes with mine.
    How is the subwoofer.. does it really makes a difference? I dont need an supreme sound just a little bass would be awesome. For me will be a plus since i need a 17"

Many thanks

7. Itzap

Itzap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

your absolutly welcome.
    I have spent a lot and i really mean hundreds of hours beside using the laptop with technical details, repaste, talked to engineers of parts inside the y740.
    If i can help a little bit it makes me happy.

I own the y740-15ichg with 2070max q and 8750h cpu.

I did not test the 17 inch model but i have tested many laptops in the past, also 17 inch models with a „subwoofer“ inside.
    Its nothing special than a third quite bigger speaker in the center of the laptop.
    I can say yes you hear the difference but it still will be a laptop. The sound of the y740 in general is very good.

If you dont transport the laptop very often you could benefit from other advantages of the 17 inch model as well.
    But therefore other reviews and members of the 17 inch model could give you more and better tips!

Best regards,
    Itzap

8. SteelQ

SteelQ Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been trying to research info about the 2080mq in the 740 but i can't find anythi g about this model.
    I want to know if it pulls 90w like the 2070 or if its just a 80w variant
    Every answer regards this question is "i have the 2070 and it uses 90w" i've sold many of those in my company and i tested them and saw that 90w... but never saw a 2080 variant nor tested. Someone knows about the wattage of the 740 with 2080 at its most powerful mode?
    I know it could make only 5-10% differenc3 but it could be q deal breaker for me having to chose between this the zephy gx701 and the razer blade pro
    But i like the 740 most tbh ...
    Thanks in advance

9. Iwashere0

Iwashere0 Newbie

Reputations:
    The 2080mq in my Y740-15IRHg works at 90w when in Performance mode, in Quiet or Balanced modes it it will be running at 80w. Thermal modes can be togged by using the shortcut Fn+Q if you have LenovoUtility installed or directly through Lenovo Vantage.

10. ericxps

ericxps Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can confirm