Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you describe exactly "very hot"?

2. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Newbie

Reputations:
    Around 85 degrees on full load. Ive added an extra thickness to the thermal pad (2mm). It now makes better contact with the chip. I'm now on 73-75 degrees on full load.

3. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Newbie

Reputations:

Used photo of Asian i think? Red circle shows the heatsink and the PCH chip.

[​IMG]

4. Jacol

Reputations:
    85C at peak and average is much less. Would not touch the cooling system to avoid microbends since PCH is rated at TJ Max 105C.

5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The image seem to be broken?

6. Sacks

Sacks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh dear, just looked up my PCH temps and while gaming they go over 100 C easy... Maybe it would be a good thing to open up the laptop and see that the heatsink does make a contact with it, that I havent put wrong size pad on it something like that...

Is the PCH that little third chip that looks a bit like the cpu/gpu but a lot smaller? The one that is metal looking. Or is the ones far back of the board, close to the ports that have been shown in red from the asian photo, the black looking ones?

Edit
    So yeah... Opened it up and immediately saw that one of the heatsinks screws standoffs has completely come off of the motherboard. Soooo mmkay, that explains a bit. Maybe ill have to email Lenovo about this. I mean, I just played around 3 hours straight but still. About a year ago lenovo said to me that it is okay to change thermal paste etc (right to repair stuff) so it should not be a problem, hopefully...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Newbie

Reputations:
    Dunno why, but posting pics within the tag doesn't work for me. [URL='https://imgur.com/a/3bVNWfY']Here is the link[/URL]
    The red circle; the PCH makes connection to a part of the heatsink which looks like a square attached to the heatsink. Below the square are screw holes. If you screw everything down it will not presure the square part. So in my case, if the square part is already slightly bent, you can't really fix it unless you have the tools, patience & balls to bent it back. Which I prefer not, hence the fillers of 2mm pad.

8. Sacks

Reputations:
    So did some testing. When I have the laptops backside lifted up with the powerbrick, the PCH gets to those 95C-100C marks when having an extended gaming session. The keyboard also gets really hot. When using the laptop without lifting it up with the powerbrick, the PCH doesnt get past 85C and the keyboard stays cool.

So there it was. I knew that the powerbrick wasnt the most ideal solution for getting more air but wow. Could open the thing up, change the paste just for laughs and put more pads under there for the PCH, but because of the broken motherboard standoff (or what is it called) I dont feel like opening it up that much anymore..

9. Jacol

Reputations:
    I really wonder why people get such a bright ideas... Like using a book for standof instead of a massive heat source was not enough?

10. Sacks

Reputations:
    Yes I know. Although it really helps with initial cpu and gpu temps. Didnt look at PCH temps before in detail. Have been looking into those cooler stand things but they all seem too expensive for what they are or then just flimsy. But you are right, better to change for a cool book.