Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jdoe84

Jdoe84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know when the NDA for these notebooks expires? It is probably no coincidence that all the interesting 2060 laptops have not been reviewed yet?

2. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In terms of general reviews/previews it was over Jan 7 2019 when nVidia gave their presentation and then CES2019 kicked off. In terms of specifics, the laptops were officially released Jan 29 2019 and then full benchmark details could be released from that day on.

I posted a link to a review of a RTX2060 laptop with benchmarks in my previous post - there are plenty for RTX2070/2070MaxQ and RTX2080/2080MaxQ laptops - just not as much interest in the 2060s because of the lower performance. But as a mainstream product, with a 36% or so average increase from the GTX1060 Laptop GPU from what I've seen - I think it's a great upgrade.

I'm thinking that it may be the Lenovo models just aren't quite done yet - we've only see pre-production samples at CES and the Asia Pacific trade shows. MSI and Razer models have already been released and end users have them and some outlets have posted their reviews already.

This is the general review of RTX laptop performance - I didn't mention it since I figured everyone saw it already: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...-Laptop-GPUs-Performance-Review.401266.0.html

Note that the RTX2060 laptop in that has a very powerful CPU - which is why that notebook beats out others - which is why I posted the 3DMark links for the i7-8750H laptops since that's generally the type of CPU we're looking at with these Y740s

Peter

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  3. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I heard from Lenovo that though the site shows 7-9 business day availability, apparently it may not be until mid March when it ships... :/

Peter

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    https://www.ultrabookreview.com/

Check last two reviews: two 2080 Max-q laptops. You can basically ignore the scores, as these were early/pre-release models.

We're seeing 5-15% performance increase with a 2080 max-q over a 1080 max-q (unless you are using RTX mode for the one game that supports it). Given the high prices, we say don't buy.

5. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Eason, but we are mostly discussing the RTX2060 here. Y740 15 doesn't even offer RTX2080maxQ as an option (and old model of it was just GTX1050Ti). Myself and one of the other guys in the thread have got GTX860Ms or other old GPUs.

Thermals and noises have been improved as has weight (and other features) in many models and it's a big boost from GTX1060 to RTX2060 while prices are similar (much less than GTX1070 maxQ models, even now). And I've found the Y740 especially is cheaper than all competing systems in my region by quite a bit (esp once all weekly/weekend sales/discounts are factored in - and Lenovo has them quite often I've found). It's not just about raw performance imho.

Thanks,
    Peter

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Eason likes this.
  6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My bad, I didn't quite understand you wanted to see the performance specifically of that one.

7. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the 2060 it’s quite hard to know if it’s the full 2060 or max q because sometimes it. They say it as 2060 and that the 2070 is a max q. So you would assume that the 2060 is a full one. But other country sites say 2060 max q.
    It could be a deal breaker as a 2070 mq is £200 difference. But it’s not really worth it unless the 2060 is a max q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey sisqo,

For any of these, it really depends on how they choose to implement. Going back years, laptop manufacturers were always adjusting the clocks on the cards in order to reduce the heat if they had a lousy cooling solution. Some reduced the performance greatly while others did not - and there were huge differences from one model to another between manufacturers or even from the same manufacturer - depending on the thickness of the laptop and so on.

nVidia took it and used it for marketing with their "maxQ" designation - it's supposed to be a guideline for OEMs ensuring that if they are maxQ then the laptops don't get too hot or too loud - and it encourages thinner and lighter designs. But it still depends on the OEMs following it or not.

All these RTX cards are the same as the desktop counterparts except for the difference in clocks (and wattage/power used). There is no RTX2060 maxQ officially - not yet - not that nVidia ever announced. I think it's just a translation issue in other countries that they are labeling it as such. The GTX1060 maxQ didn't exist until very, very late in the cycle.

You can check https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060-Laptop-Graphics-Card.384946.0.html.

I really depends if Lenovo decided to hamstring these laptops they could have. That's why I can't wait to get my hands on one to test - or for someone to give a detailed review with performance, heat and noise details so we can judge.

Thanks,
    Peter

sisqo_uk likes this.
  9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah thanks about that. Fully aware of max q and why. Thats why I asked as the best bang in terms of performance upgrade is the 2060 over the 1060, which is not too far off a 2070 max q.
    I’ll prob get 2070.
    This generation so far is so gimped compared to the 10 series in terms of how they stack up to their desktop parts.
    Remember a desktop 2060 matches a full 1080. But the 2060 laptop (non max q) benchmarks I’ve seen is getting around 1070 gtx desktop level.
    It takes a 2080 max q to achieve a desktop 2060.
    Although they are lowered clocks depending on manufacturers. This is a step backwards and I’m not in impressed. Was expecting a 2070 max q to out do a 1080, even at laptop level.
    However I still will prob proceed to buy one as I have no laptop now, Or get a 1080 max q laptop if it’s cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds good sisqo. If it is simply about performance and all else is considered equal, then go for it and be happy :).

I haven't purchased a desktop since I got my first laptop, an ECS G732 with ATi MOBILITY RADEON M9000 graphics in 2003 (my avatar). It had a desktop CPU and it was darned so loud and heavy.

Since then I've been fine comparing laptop parts to laptop parts. I wouldn't consider sticking a desktop part in my laptop again. As long as this GPU is faster than last gen and preferably also in a quieter, lighter and cooler laptop while giving more performance per watt (and dollar) - I'm a happy camper.

Peter