Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Sacks

Sacks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dont know where to see latest vBios, but i dont think you can even update it manually. You can try and update your whole Bios from the lenovo edge/vantage software thou if you think its something to do with your bios settings. Most of the time if your UV etc is wrong, games just freeze or you get a bluescreen. Your problem sounds more like game related issue...

I think there is also a preinstalled updating software, where you can update all your intel drivers etc also.

2. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone here knows what the difference between ICHg and IRHg?

To my understanding, ICHg using 8750H and IRHg using 9750H. Is that correct?

Is there any method to distinct between them? My mobo has been replaced in nov 2019, and now my system is totally unstable, i think its related to my BIOS, im afraid lenovo give me the wrong type of motherboard.

As i aware, ICHg bios and IRHg bios is different right? Right now i use IRHg BIOS, same like my SKU suppose to be. But I feel a little weird about my stability of my system right now.
    It crashed a lot, BSOD everyday, and regularly recover my system about once a week which is very abnormal and stressful.

Tested my RAM and both are normal, no faulty.

Please help. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  3. Bzy

Bzy Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought this and am worried about the temps as the last laptop I bought burned out. Kinda need some guidance on a checklist:

• Undervolt/Therottlestop
    • Cooling Pad
    • Need help with what type of stress tests to run before I decide my laptop is acceptable to keep.
    These idle temps worry me a bit (with the back end raised to not block vents), is this ok?

imgur.com/WCGdnW8

Doesn't look like I can attach imgur in here, but I can try to load it to my google photos if needed.

[e]Average is on the far right, max is the next column over (idle temps).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  4. pheint

pheint Newbie

Reputations:
    Throttlestop helped a great deal with the temps on my Y740.

Just to give you an idea for it's effectiveness, I'm currently sitting at a 140.6 mV undervolt on the CPU Core and the CPU Cache. At this point I am idling at 52-54 degrees across all six cores with the occasional jump into the upper 50s. This is while sitting flat on my kitchen table writing this.

With that same undervolt and overclocking the GPU (2060) the max temps for the CPU hit the mid 80s with the GPU barely breaking 70 during The Witcher 3 play sessions.

Edit: Those play sessions I do prop up the back end about an inch.

5. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are your thoughts on throttlestop vs XTU? I'm thinking to switch to throttlestop as XTU sometimes seems to not apply underclock on boot. I wish we could just do this in the BIOS...

6. pheint

pheint Newbie

Reputations:
    From my limited use of XTU I always seemed to have issue with the changes sticking on my Surface Pro 4, sometimes it worked and other times it didn't. After setting it up to launch on startup for both the SP4 and now the Y740 Throttlestop has performed flawlessly in the background without any further fiddling. But I agree wholeheartedly, BIOS control would be so much more modification friendly :)

7. Elrondolio

Elrondolio Newbie

Reputations:
    I've used both and like Throttlestop better but I do have to say, just like XTU, Throttlestop sometimes crashes when the laptop has a few sleep / wake cycles and requires a manual restart. Not a huge deal except: the throttlestop icon in the traybar remains there after it crashes so you don't know it isn't actually running until you happen to hover your mouse over it and it disappears at that point. Somewhat of a pain but still more stable than XTU overall in my experiences.

8. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So Lenovo seems to consistently be wanting to push BIOS v10 since it pops up every couple of days. What are the benefits of it since it has never done this with previous BIOS updates?
    I am liking v7 since it seemed to provide a decent graphical bump especially in benchmarking and was smoother in games like CoD Modern Warfare. Thanks!

9. dieandromeda

dieandromeda Newbie

Reputations:
    i like to know too

10. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Something seems to be seriously wrong with my battery. I went from almost 4 hours of light usage (Ie. Optimus, intel GPU set to max battery life, unnecessary apps closed, 40% brightness)
    The exact same parameters now yield MAYBE 1.5 hours. What's going on here...
    The Nvidia GPU seems to be sleeping (I have the icon enabled thats black and white when GPU is sleeping and colored when awake)
    The CPU seems to sit between 2-5% with clock speed around 0.78GHz
    Any ideas? This seems to have started after installing the throttlestop application but I've disabled it completely, multiple reboots and still the same.

The laptop is 90% of the time docked and plugged in. But the battery is smart to not start re-charging until it dips under 95% so I don't think there should have been any 100%->99%->100% oscillations to damage the battery. Temps also stay cool since it's always on a cooling pad; CPU and GPU stay under 70 under gaming load. Thoughts? Is this the sign of a dead battery? Should I be asking for a replacement?