Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looking for 1.07 Bios for Y740-15ICHg models.
    Also has anyone tested the 1.11 bios release?

2. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. SirLosealot

SirLosealot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey can someone recommend me some overclock and undervolt advice? Programs and settings you use. I feel like my games should be performing better than they are

5. SirLosealot

Reputations:
    For CPU, I use Throttlestop undervolting to reduce temp drastically. Go to FIVR, Unlock Adjustable Voltage, then adjust the Offset Voltage to negative. The result varies between machine so I can't give you a fixed number. Try -100mV or -125mV first to see if the PC crashes or BSOD in games or benchmarks. If it does not, decrease further by -5mV or -10mV until it does. Roll back to the previous stable point and you are set.
    For GPU, I use MSI Afterburner, again, varies between systems so you will have to find out yourself. But, if you don't want to fiddle too much, use the OC Scanner function in MSI Afterburner to find your OC Core Clock. It is in the upper left corner of the GUI, press OC then Scan and wait until it is finished. You can press Test afterwards to test the OC values. This will retrun a "confidence level", I heard that anything over 60% is fine. Then for the Memory Clock, you have to find out yourself. Increase it step by step of 50MHz or 100MHz and test it in games or benchmarks. I use MSI Afterburner, Firestrike benchmark, and games for GPU stability test. Remember to press the Save icon and choose a profile afterwards so you don't have to run the OC Scanner again.
    If the PC crashes, BSOD and restarts while playing games or even when idle, try tuning down your OC and undervolt a bit. Hope it helps.

6. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, im a new member here
    My Y740 spec is 9750h and RTX2070 maxq

I want to ask, any members here who play Rage 2? Why i keep getting crashed with notification "rage.exe has stopped working"

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. SirLosealot

Reputations:
    I don't play that but... I don't know, that error is too broad for me. Did it crash when opening? Have you try installing different graphic driver? Did you overclock or undervolt?... Can't narrow the cause down yet.

8. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Newbie

Reputations:
    No, its crash when in the middle of playing..
    I've already update the nvidia driver to the latest version. No OC on GPU side and yes I undervolt the CPU...
    But I think its a developer problem on microsoft store, microsoft never release a patch since first release. My friend use from steam, and get a patch/fix and he can play the game without crash.

And for the other questions :
    1. Can any member here confirm what is the latest BIOS version for (lenovo's) nvidia RTX 2070 max-Q version?
    2. Does activating XMP profile on RAM affecting CPU voltage in term of stability? In my experience, when using JEDEC/default config, my system is stable with - 150mv on core and cache. But when activating XMP profile, even with - 125mv my system oftenly BSOD.
    I already test the RAM using HCI memtest at 12 threads and 2400MB each thread (90% of 32GB) for 400% with no errors. So I suspect that the CPU is not stable enough because it lacks voltage when using XMP profile.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  9. SirLosealot

Reputations:
    Have you tried reverting the UV and play? If it still crashes then it is probably the game. I thought mine UV was stable too, until I played a certain games or left the pc on idle. Hard to say if the UV is trully stable for me.

10. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, already try to default all my UV and OC setting... And still crashed...

Correct, stress test doesn't mean it will stable enough for gaming or low task...

Still waiting other members to share their GPU BIOS for RTX 2070 Max-Q, just curious what version is the latest