Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did a repaste today. Gotta say, I'm really impressed with the stock paste Lenovo used and the way it's been applied. I used Coolaboratory Ultra. All results include a 140mV undervold and +200/+1100 on the GPU.
    AIDA 64 Results (AIDA64 is super unrealistic as it is a full CPU/GPU workload which is impossible to recreate in real world usage)
    Before: CPU 94 with throttling, GPU 78
    After: CPU 80 with NO throttling, GPU 71

Intel XTU: Stresses CPU alone
    Before: 80
    After: 70

Furmark: Stresses GPU alone
    Before: 72
    After: 68

3DMark Firestrike: Stresses both
    Before: CPU 88, GPU 71
    After: CPU 82, GPU 67

To conclude, seems like the liquid metal improved performance nicely. For about 20 mins of work, I'd highly recommend it. Application is easy to do, just requires some patience. Also my RAM sticks and new SSD just arrived, so I'll be putting those in shortly and re-benchmarking.

Here are some pics:
    https://imgur.com/a/dLWyRZx

2. Sebi97

Reputations:
    Wow, so just finished benchmarking. Took quite a while with tinkering but here's the final result! OC settings at +220 on the core and +1200 on the memory clock. CPU running at stock clocks with -140mV undervolt. Now upgraded to 16GB kit running in dual channel.

Firestrike: 15632 Score, 17311 Graphics Score (http://www.3dmark.com/fs/21519489)
    Timespy: 6832 Score, 6789 Graphics Score (http://www.3dmark.com/spy/10155722)

It's nice to see since these scores beat the 2070 Max Q, a laptop GTX 1070 and a desktop GTX 980! All in a thin and light laptop with 5 hours of battery life (with the smaller battery, will upgrade to the larger one which I'm expecting 6-7 hours) All for ~$1200USD total, I am very, very happy!

3. SirLosealot

SirLosealot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice jump! What do you think helps the most? I personally think it's the RAM.

4. Sebi97

Reputations:
    Yes, I think it's a combination of the RAM but also the repaste. It runs slightly cooler which allows it to run slightly higher clock speeds under its wattage limitation. They really should release a 100w vBIOS. Grrr.....

5. bryanryan

bryanryan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your results have answered my question on whether to repaste or not...
    Currently have 16GB of ram but am keen to upgrade that to 32GB so will repaste as the same time. Going to use Artic MX-4 unless someone sells me on spending the extra cash, already have the paste from building my desktop so will use the rest of that.

My CPU is getting up to 97°C often which is scaring me!

6. SirLosealot

Reputations:
    Tell me about it. Currently looking high and low for such vBios. Hey, I think the Alienware Area 51M with 2060 has such kind of vBios. Any ideas?

7. Sebi97

Reputations:
    I wonder if Prema could put something together. I had a prema mod vBIOS for my old 970m laptop and the difference was unreal

8. SirLosealot

Reputations:
    Who is Prema? Sorry, I am new here. Anyway, don't know if it helps but I also use NVIDIA driver slimming utility to... slim down my current driver for some slight performance I think.

9. Sebi97

Reputations:
    Prema makes custom vBIOS's for (mostly) clevo laptops. I think he was also contracted by them at one point, but I could be wrong on that. Guy really knows his way around this stuff. He holds majority of records on Firestrike for laptop GPU's with incredible scores. If theres a guy to maximize the GPU capabilities of a laptop, he is your guy

10. SirLosealot

Reputations:
    After seeing some of his post where a 2060 scoring more than 20k, I gotta ask myself what kinda magic is that as I am struggling to get 18k even with OC. That guy really knows his stuff, numbers don't lie. Gotta ask him how.