Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. NovaPrime

NovaPrime Newbie

Reputations:
    For those of you still interested in downgrading your bios to 1.03 for max fans, but are still having difficulty and still get errors, such as "The version of ROM file is not newer than that of BIOS."
    Here are some steps:

1. Obtain bios version 1.03 for your Y740 (Mine was Y740-15IRHg) - Filename "BVCN07WW.exe"
    2. Ensure that you have 7-zip installed.
    3. Right-click on the bios files and select "Extract here."
    4. You will get an error that the bios file could not be opened as a 7-zip archive but it should still work for our purposes.
    5.Locate the configuration file platform.ini and open it using Wordpad.
    6. Scroll down and search for:
    [Bios_Version_Check]
    Flag=2
    SameVersionErrorMessage="The version of ROM file is the same as that of BIOS."
    OlderVersionErrorMessage="The version of ROM file is not newer than that of BIOS."

7. Change "Flag=2" to "Flag=0" and it will skip checking your bios version.
    8. Click on "H2OFFT-Wx64" to downgrade your bios.
    9. The laptop should restart and flash (obvious but do not interrupt the flashing process).
    10. My laptop booted and I regained Fn+Q for max fan speed.
    11. Good luck Legion Fam

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you brick your laptop and it becomes unusable.
    The owner of the laptop who performs the bios downgrade assumes full responsibility of damages to their product.

kfxsti likes this.
  2. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Whoever said that putting it on quiet mode maxes out fans is correct. I tested it and it seems performance mode has the lowest fan speed for some reason. I have bios 1.07

I tested out my cpu load and temps with performance mode vs quiet mode. Both use the same cpu percent but the fans run at max on quiet. Performance mode cpu temps were 92c and quiet mode was 69c. What is going on here? Lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2019
    Kalen likes this.
  3. Sacks

Sacks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Remember that quiet mode caps the cpu to 25W.

For example quiet mode cpu max 25W and gpu (2070maxq) to 80w if i remember right

Performance mode cpu is maxed out at 60w and gpu at 90W and in combined load cpu at 45w and gpu 90w.

So the performance mode actually pulls a lot more wattage from the cpu, hence the higher temps. The fans speed thing is still a mystery tbh...
    To get temps down, you need to undervolt your cpu. If it is even possible after latest windows patches and intel security problems...

Ive gotten the best results when around -0.15mV undervolt and then capping the cpu to max 38W on performance mode. Never does the cpu get too warm, and depending on the game the cpu boosts to 3,9ghz on all cores. This is for the 8th gen processor thou, could and will be different for the 9th gen.

4. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll probably repaste my CPU and GPU when I get the chance.

Are there any decent guides around? I decided to go with the Lenovo Legion Y740 17" (RTX 2070) and afaik repasting is always good to do, and the Lenovo seem to be quite easy to open up.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  5. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    n/m found it!

6. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So is there a third party software that can control my fans? Performance mode makes the fans lower than fn quiet mode.

7. Sacks

Sacks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At the moment I dont think so. The only solution to having the max fans option is downgrading your bios... Are you having problems with temps going to high or fps drops etc?

I have found that in demanding games the fans actually do max out (or close to that) after a while in performance mode also. But when playing games that are not so demanding, like esports titles or older games (for some reason gta V also??) the fans in performance doesnt max out. Its a bit frustrating to see or hear that your system is getting hotter, then fans ramp up, just to slow down again in a moment and letting the heat rise up again. Its just a bad fan curve from the lenovo software...

The easiest and most efficient way is just downgrading your bios. After that you have option to have the fans at auto mode, or then maxed out with higher tdp for the GPU. If you dont mind the fans going full speed all the time during gaming. Allthou the performance gained through this questionable, as some claim having better performance with the newer biosses and the mode selection thingy even thou the temps get higher... So its a double sided thing.

I did a lot of testing when I got my unit in the summer time. And ended up using the latest bios with the mode selection as I got better scores in benchmarks with new bios. I think there were some core power updates or something like that, like actual updates on the power management for the cpu so its actually more efficient. But after a while i may have gotten a bit bored of tinkering and let myself actually enjoy gaming :D Although I did repaste the unit, which helped a lot with the initial over heating problem.

All said and done, I have been thinking about rolling back the bios to get the max fans option. Its much more simple that way tbh. But as I think I have found the sweet spot with the undervolt etc for my unit, might just keep it as it is with the bad fan curve...

8. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This laptop runs too cool! Seriously though, I'm getting about 76 degrees on the GPU with it overclocked and still with stock TIM. The limiting factor for performance is that damn 90W limit. I'd love to bump that limit to 100W and allow the GPU to stretch its legs and take advantage of the thermals. I'm willing to bet it would considerably beat the RTX 2070. But, then who would pay the $325 upgrade to the 2070? From a business perspective, I get it. But from an enthusiast perspective... Grrr....

9. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Be careful what you wish for... ;-)

Alienware Area 51M had 200W limit for their RTX 2080 at launch and quite a bit of ppl had problems with components frying, and the dual powers bricks are a PITA.

90W is obviously WAY lower, but while I get the craving for MAX POWER, Max-Q fills a perfectly nice spot; high end gaming without the frying and crap power bricks.

10. xtravbx

xtravbx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got my Y740 in the mail from the Rakuten deal.

Shipped with 1.05 bios. Wondering if I should update to the latest bios? After reading, it looks like there's flaws with the fan speeds on the latest?