Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. dumpsterj

dumpsterj Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Man I really didn't want to repaste mine but I had the same experience as you. Those results you got are impressive.

2. Claus_Valca

Claus_Valca Newbie

Reputations:
    @Etelmik

While checking my RSS feeds this week, Consumer Reports said that the 17" Y740 would be $1280 on black Friday, 9:00 AM EST.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lap...o-laptop-deals-for-black-friday-cyber-monday/

I'm absolutely loving my maxed-out 15" Y740.

It's been a beast running multiple VM's on Hyper-V at the same time. Alas, I don't have any games to really experience the power of the upgraded graphics card I got with it. I did download and run Unigine's Superposition and Valley benchmarks https://benchmark.unigine.com/ on it and the results are very impressive (to me) for a laptop without any (yet) undervolting work. It's a good showcase to brag to my non-tech family and friends with. I'm personally waiting for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 to get released and hoping it performs well on the laptop.

Eventually I'll draft an full-impressions post for the thread...been a busy Fall at work.

My only "gripe" is a common one here with the keyboard. The keys themselves are great to work on, but darn-it if I still have problems centering my palms underneath the keyboard! I'm going to try getting a piece of thin felt pad with adhesive backing and cut a narrow pin-stripe to make a pseudo-edge on the wrist-pad area just between the macro key row and the primary keyboard keys so I can use that for my left palm to rest against. Hopefully that helps me naturally center-up under the keyboard. I'm a touch typist, but I'm also regularly using a free touch typing program to run drills to practice getting comfortable with the keyboard on this thing for muscle memory.

As long as I've got the Y740 on my full desk, then I use either my USB mechanical keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse with it and it a full win/win. Keyboard only a bother when I'm using it away from my desk.

Cheers!

Claus V.

3. RoastyToasty

RoastyToasty Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm thinking about repasting my Y740 as well, what paste did you use?

On a side note, would liquid metal be a good choice for the Y740?

4. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut but I definitely think that Conductonaut (liquid metal) would be even better. Dropped the temperatures a bit and evened them out with Kryonaut but I'm sure they would be amazing with liquid metal.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

5. jiggy46

jiggy46 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah the thermal paste application wasn't good (for me at least), no wonder my cpu temps went to 90s very often.

I used coolermaster mastergel instead of kryonaut. I thought liquid metal is quite difficult to work with and you'll need to repaste-it relatively often. And I feel like I dont need that extreme temperature drop for my y740 to works to my satisfaction anyway.

6. Slam2Fast

Slam2Fast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone made modifications to the heatpipes, heatsinks to the y740?

7. Barry J Bena

Barry J Bena Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, folks. I just repasted my CPU and GPU with Gelid GC-Extreme. Anyone know what thickness thermal pads are on the NVMe drive and under the HS for the VRM's?

The pad on the chips seems thinner and softer than the one on the SSD.

Thanks,

8. Slam2Fast

Slam2Fast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, what is this black tape in the heatpipes?
    maybe a heat transfer tape, from the plate to the heatpipes?
    maybe insolating heat tape?

Attached Files:

9. bryanryan

bryanryan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone found a decent laptop sleeve/case that fits the Y740 15inch?

10. GooPuddles

GooPuddles Newbie

Reputations: