Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. TheRealHendrix

TheRealHendrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You have to customize the 15in RTX model yourself and select it. There isn't a pre-built 15in that has the 2080MQ, but they added it as an option with the 9th gen CPU refresh. It's currently a +200$ upgrade from the 2070MQ.

It's also not even on the spec page for the 15 inch model. only the 17 inch page shows the 2080 as an option for some reason. I have no idea why it's pretty much hidden. They should have included a pre-built configuration that has it. I would have bought it most likely but they gave me a 30% off quote but it had to be one of the pre-configuration models. So it would have been more like +350$ for the upgrade instead of +200$. Oh well, I'm definitely happy with the 2070MQ.

2. zoneykid

zoneykid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How does this help, did you even read my post?
    Unless you mean to say they swapped the filenames so the 17in is actually for 15 and vice versa?
    As I even linked to the firmware I downloaded, kyb15fw02u, which is for the 15in. The 17in is aptly named kyb17fw02u.

This issue came up like a week after I downgraded my firmware so I doubt it's to do with that.
    The main issue we were complaining about, and the reason I downgraded my firmware, was the default lighting effect being rainbow spiral on reboot, which the latest firmware introduces.

3. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    First of all, it is not a solution. If you reboot your laptop, or logout etc, then you have the "dancing lights" until you log in, which is very annoying. (basically, icue software quits for any reason). I guess no one still has solution... Well, guess I should just wait then.

I am starting to get the impression that Lenovo hates its customers for some reason. First, the option to control the fans was removed for no reason. Then, this. Do they even check what their customers need or want before these "updates"?

BTW, I've read that it's better to use the NVIDIA drivers provided by Lenovo and not the ones directly from NVIDIA. Is it true? The problem is that they are seriously outdated.

4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not for GPU drivers, I always use GeForce Experience for the latest drivers and have never run into a problem.
    It could be true for other drivers but I can’t see Lenovo putting in time for custom drivers.

5. zoneykid

zoneykid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I posted a solution 2 pages ago, flash the previous firmware.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/lenovo-legion-y740-17-15.827244/page-159#post-10955472

6. contro

contro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ahhh my mistake yeah that rainbow light is default .... it sucks i agree

7. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I decided to repaste and repad my system and used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Arctic thermal pads. While gaming, I had consistently thermal throttled at 94*C, got PROCHOT in Throttlestop and had a core spread of over 10*C so I figure I may as well considering it is super easy to do (much easier than my previous Alienware). Pulled off the heatsink and sure enough they are still using the good blue paste, but the pads were a bit thick and 2 were completely missing. I replaced all the pads in red with 0.5mm pads and the single one in orange with 1mm pad as it was slightly lower, so made more sense to equalize it.
    [​IMG]
    While gaming now in Black Ops 4, still on performance and overclocked with MSI Afterburner (curve and capped at 1780 MHz), now only hitting 85*C on the highest core and now a 7*C spread. Not perfect, no, but much better. I think the more even application with thinner thermal pads did the majority of the work to be honest.
    So if anyone else is tired of waiting for Lenovo to fix the fan settings with a new BIOS, perhaps this would work for you too.

kfxsti, Sacks, IKAS V and 1 other person like this.
  8. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is the heatsink on big unit connecting both the CPU and GPU?
    Good job.

9. laptopper333

laptopper333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just ordered the new 1660 Ti version, but now I'm finding out it doesn't have G-Sync (even though Lenovo advertises it as having it). Would it be possible to hook up an external Freesync monitor for smooth gaming without using stupid V-sync?

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Long as you're connecting to the monitor via DisplayPort, adaptive sync should work just fine.