Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. bryanryan

bryanryan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Fair enough, I completely agree there should we a way to set this.

2. bryanryan

Reputations:
    So my Legion Y740-15IRHG with RTX2080 has arrived and have been very impressed so far. I had the prev model with Intel Core i7-8750H & RTX2070 and my main points so far are:
    The 500 nit screen (the main reason I sent my old model back was for the screen) Its bright, no black light bleed for me, great quality and colour out of the box. My panel is a BOE083B

I can't say I have noticed a huge difference in frame rates but the GPU temps are a lot lower than what I had with the 2070.

Does anyone have a standard bench-marking template or something I can work off and I will try give my results :)

Kalen likes this.
  3. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I returned my Y540 to get a Y740, which just arrived. Super happy with it, apart from the AUO panel it came with which had backlight bleed. Spent a few hours talking to support and now they've ordered a new LG panel for me, as it was the only other panel choice for the 17in Y740. From what I see in the specs it looks like the LG has better response times, color, brightness distribution, and viewing angles because its full IPS over this AHVA AUO panel. I think the LG had slightly lower contrast but I like this trade off. Anyone have any experience with the LG panel?

I want to replace the thermal paste with conductonaut and the thermal pads with K5 pro, should I wait till the tech replaces my panel or can I go ahead with it now? How are the stock thermal pads anyways, will the K5 pro be better?

4. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got the new one too and I was also upgrading from the 8th generation. The panel is a huge improvement over the last one (LG) which is the most noticeable thing. Do you have the Division 2? If you don't, then perhaps 3DMark (for Timespy)? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

5. Sacks

Sacks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to know what kind of scores you guys get in timespy also :D Just to compare your newer CPU and the rtx2080 version VS the 8th gen with 2070 version. I get (with the 8thgen & 2070) 7405 points in Timespy so would like to know how much better score you get. Although I havent ran the test with any oc etc after replacing the thermal pads, could get more points thou....

6. bryanryan

Reputations:
    I don't have Division 2 unfortunately, will keep an eye out for a sale on the game and will get it.
    Farcry 5 is downloading so will edit this post when tested

Timespy results:
    7692 i7-9750H & RTX2080 Max-Q
    7042 i7-8750H & RTX2070 Max-Q

Kalen likes this.
  7. TheRealHendrix

TheRealHendrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's my best results so far with 9750H and 2070MQ.

TimeSpy: 7,485
    Fire Strike: ~16,700

This was with a +200 core +400 memory OC + UV 1,785Mhz @ 693mv I believe. I haven't tested much recently but I was really happy with the results when I was tweaking the laptop. Also Driver version 431.60. I may test again soon and post results because the drivers have changed a lot since then with significant improvements for some RTX cards and Dx12.

Also I'm not sure how but my Userbenchmark score is consistently at the 100th percentile for the 2070MQ with a +150 core +400 memory OC, which is what I keep it on 99% of the time while gaming. I also only use Performance mode to get the 90W instead of 80W. Also 150mv Undervolt on the 9750H.

The only thing I've had a crash with using +150/+400 is Destiny 2, which for some reason is extremely sensitive to overclocking... Anyway hope that helps.

Division 2 High Benchmark I get 102 fps on average since a few people have asked and posted about that. Haven't tried Ultra yet since I usually just prefer high frame rate.

Also the highest Y740 2080 Max-Q Time Spy I've seen is 8,400 from someone on Reddit. Which is a pretty amazing score, even though it's only about a 12% improvement over the 2070MQ. 10-15% performance gain is my guess on average though for Y740 2070MQ vs 2080MQ. I'd like to know other users scores with the 2080MQ as well. I almost went with that but would have had to customize the 15in model to get it, so it would have been 300$+ more for the upgrade. Definitely happy with the 9750H 2070MQ though. I owned the 8th gen 2060 before and my best Time Spy was 6,400. Returned for the upgraded screen and 2070. So it seems like for the Y740 at least each tier from 2060 > 2070MQ > 2080MQ is a 10-15% performance increase, which isn't bad considering other companies charge 300-400$ while Lenovo charges 250$ and 200$.

I also found it interesting they changed the upgrade price for the GPUs a while back. It use to be 200$ for the 2060 > 2070MQ and 250$ for the 2070MQ > 2080MQ. Now it's 250$ and 200$ respectively for each.

Also curious, how is gaming at 1440p with the 2070MQ using an external monitor? I may end up getting one eventually but am not sure how well it can handle it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  8. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Purchased the Y740 (RTX2060) directly from the lenovo website and was wandering if there was some way to get the free game detailed here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/gaming-laptops/20-series/
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/campaigns/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-bundle/
    I called support, got redirected to sales, who kept asking where I saw this promotion, then they said they would look into it for me and put me on hold, then hung up while I was waiting on hold..
    Anyone else have any more luck?

9. contro

contro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The keyboard lighting fix , just install the latest firmware for your model laptop there is a 15-inch and a 17-inch apparently the update that went out flip-flopped

Did you try this : https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforc...odern-warfare-bundle/redemption-instructions/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2019
  10. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wait there is a 2080 Max q 15" variant for sale? Where? I haven't been able to find it on lenovo's online store in us

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk