Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice! I just ordered a few hours ago so I don’t expect to know till Wednesday.

What spec did you order?

2. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine says March 4 on Lenovo's site even though UPS reports Feb 27 delivery.

The Lenovo site has been very unreliable in terms of expected delivery dates. I cancelled 2 orders - both shipped right after I did so, after weeks sitting in queue.

Peter

3. Naeem Chandani

Naeem Chandani Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got the 2060+512gb ssd for $1399 with the student discount.

4. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok good then we can compare thermals

I will likely repaste this with Kryonaut then LM if necessary.

raz8020 likes this.
  5. Naeem Chandani

Reputations:
    Since you’ve reviewed the y730, how would you compare the build quality and feel of the chassis compared to something like a Razer Blade or msi gs65

6. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Blades exterior build quality it top notch. Excellent fit and finish.

I would place the Y730 next, as the GS65 needed thicker metal in my opinion. MSI wanted light weight and in my opinion, they pushed a bit too far.

Cooling on the Y730 is better than either one and the Lenovo is also much easier to work on.

It just needs a bigger battery. The 57whr is so 2017.

raz8020 likes this.
  7. Naeem Chandani

Reputations:
    I just returned my mercury white blade with the 2060 and it still gets warm like the 1060 and 1070 blade I had last year. It’s a few degrees cooler though. The msi gs65 I didn’t like because of the creaking and flimsy body. So I’m really looking forward to this laptop!

8. kebabeat

kebabeat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ordered the most expensive 15" pre-configuration (with the 2070) on the 20th, and it was shipped today on the 25th, within 3 business days excluding the weekends of course. Says it will arrive on march 1st within the same week. Ships from the US warehouse to here in Canada.

The 2070 max-q with the rough benchmarks performs on par or better than the higher power 2070 max q in the razer blade advanced models. Nice to see because I don't really want to see the 2070 max q chip performing like the thermally restrained one on the new aero 15. The "coldfront" cooling improvement by 15% over the y730 I hope makes a difference with regards to the temps. The videos I've seen have the cpu reaching 85c with the gpu on the 70s, and with undervolting the cpu stays at mid 70s under load (believe I heard this from the earlier review on the 2080 17 inch variant by Phiking).

It is indeed a bit sad that lenovo didn't pursue the 90+wh size battery configurations that forgoes the 2.5 drive bay just like the new dell g series does. If battery life isn't a major concern, however, the y740 is basically a better built, better cooled competitor to the g series. Never seen a similar spec'd laptop in this price range with the glorious metal construction throughout, and aside from the legion branding, everything else is very nice and professional I suppose.

The g series was what I was trying to purchase but I decided to hold off until ownordisown's video, and when I saw the lack of fan control and the 100c cpu temperatures I knew right away that I'd purchase the y740.

9. OWNORDISOWN

OWNORDISOWN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, that G5 isn't too good. The 60hz panel is only 63% sRGB, no backlight bleed though. It's going back. I ordered the 17" Y740 a couple of days ago with the 2080 MQ. Seems good value. Was hoping to get a review unit but they totally ignore me and Bob.

raz8020 likes this.
  10. dodgehemi0

dodgehemi0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine says it will arrive APRIL 16 shipping APRIL 9. Ordered FEB 22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro