Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. zoneykid

zoneykid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll run some benchmarks to compare when I get a chance.

Even so, this laptop has a mux chip so you can disable the igpu if you want performance, only annoyance is restart is needed to enable or disable Optimus.

And like I said before so far I've not had any noticeable performance issues even with optimus enabled, so any noticeable performance loss would depend on how demanding your game is, or if you're a professional level player.
    League being a 10 year old game is not very demanding for this gpu.

I imagine Nvidia or Intel might be able to improve this with a driver at some point, so it's good that people are talking about it.

2. Sacks

Sacks Newbie

Reputations:
    Ohhh boi!
    So I finally got the rounded screw out from the heatsink. I ordered "Screw extracting pliers" from ifixit, and those were perfect to grip and get the screw to unscrew. I got the "GT" size from EU store, dont know what size that is for US. Maybe small ones would have been good too.
    Changed the paste to thermal grizzlys kryonaut and ALL thermalpads to 0,5mm thick pads.

A short and brief testing showed a 10-15C (!!!!) drop in cpu temps in cinebench R20. Before temps maxed out around 92C @3,6Ghz with 60W and got a score of 2790p.
    Now I got 2930p with MAX of 82C with 3,7- 3,8Ghz @ 65W. So thats a pretty hefty improvement. I think its mostly from the thermalpads, as some of the original thermalpads were overlapping others and like a bit rolled up (hard to explain...).
    Aida64 with cpu and gpu load when stabilized didnt throttle at all, as it used to.

In timespy and in firestrike the temps were also max 80C. Scores were about the same as i got before (didnt have any hard OCs on the GPU thou), but the temps are noticeably lower. Im really clad this whole rounded screw episode is over for me now. Have to play Battlefield V for a little and see what the temps are in a longer gaming session, but the initial results are very good! Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips!

And btw still using the 1.10 bios for the 8th gen (with the profile settings, no max fan option), maybe could get even better thermals with the max fan option...

3. contro

contro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. TheCrow

TheCrow Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently purchased the Y740 i7-9750H w/ RTX 2070 17" model and it came with Bios 1.03 which included the Max Fan Option.
    Even after disabling update on the Lenovo app AND in Windows Updates via SERVICES (because Win Update also showed the BIOS update), it STILL updated me eventually to 1.05

Now, after testing it on 1.03 with games like Anthem on Ultra, I noticed that my CPU temps reached at about 80 while GPU hit 75 range - Max Fan helped drop these temps a bit (5-8 less).
    After I was forced to 1.05 update, I was upset for losing max fan as I though the 3 new fan settings were useless.
    Well to my surprise, I'm playing the new COD MW on Ultra along with Anthem on Ultra and on the Fan Cool setting, I'm no where near the high temps I was on 1.03!!
    My CPU is now at about 56-69 Max and GPU at about the same..

So what changed and did they gimp my 2070 a bit for me to see these reduced numbers or under-volt something within the BIOS?
    There's the newer 1.06 update and I won't dare update to that since I'm not prompted to.
    Would I be able to tell if they under-volted my GPU/CPU in any way after this update and if so, could you gents chime in on how to check?

Bob/Husky - Just an FYI, let me know if you gents have any info on this as well.
    It would be nice to start new threads for the different Gen CPU's since we're constantly talking about 2 different BIOS' on here.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  5. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What are you playing on? Performance or Auto?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

6. TheCrow

TheCrow Newbie

Reputations:
    Kalen - I forgot to mention I'm in performance Mode with latest Geforce Drivers, so G-Sync is always on. On Fn+Q I either use the 2nd or 3rd option and they both give the same results.
    Hope this helps.

Kalen likes this.
  7. KevinAntonius

KevinAntonius Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, just bought y740 15inch 9750h 500nits, my unit just came and currently testing it out, can you guys tell me how to keep the sound profile on dolby atmos? I choose the "dynamic" settings on dolby atmos, because i think it is the best sound profile overall, but after a while, the sounds setting always switching to "voice" "movies" or "games" profile, how do i keep this "dynamic" profile and make it stop switching to other profile, because it driving me crazy, the sound keep changing make it sometimes high, low, and no bass at all.

Thankss

8. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So can you guys tell me if you had to pick between the lenovo y740, alienware m15 and mag 15; Why would you choose the lenovo y740? would you choose any of the other 2 now that you have experience with the y740?

9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lenovo for sure, it’s cheaper the the AW and the Mag 15 has a unusually low 75c GPU throttle limit.

10. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's odd you'd have to mention price point. I'd think you'd mention the performance or the fact that you have G-sync lol