Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let me look more tonight. I think I have found an inconsistency in between the Thermal values and probes between bios 1.3 and 1.6.

IKAS V likes this.
  2. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mostly the fact that they pulled off a semi-glossy screen (with laptops its either full-on-grainy matte or full glossy) that, after a few days of testing, handles reflections pretty well, has accurate colors (for a laptop), though contrast seems a little off.

For me its plenty bright (keep it around 60), however it does have a contrast setting issue i think...because text looks lighter than on other displays..sometimes making reading more strenuous..i think that also gives it a sensation of dimness..

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. kotomikun

kotomikun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd definitely like to see a direct comparison between those, haven't tried reverting to 1.3 yet because I can't find anyone else who's done that and told us the results. If you mean the temperature readings could be wrong... that might explain how there could be a 20+ degree difference between two tiny segments of a coin-sized piece of metal, though going by how hot the keyboard can get without turbo-power reductions, the temperature readings probably aren't completely inaccurate.

kfxsti likes this.
  4. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are two different probe types that report temps from what I am seeing. Also there is a different reporting method availability between 1.3 and 1.6- one allows EC to control fan speeds. And the other is using something different. I've ordered another bios chip .once it arrives I'll start making changes to see what kind of ruckus I can cause.
    I learned with the first (dead) laptop that there is a over voltage protection on the bios chip , and unsoldering the chip and using my programmer would have fixed it. But it was within my return window so I went that route .
    Buuuut this one (new replacement) I plan on figuring out what other than fan tables did Lenovo manage to mess up with the 1.6 as I've been experiencing hard lockups on the laptop (work) running 1.6 that I'm not having on 1.3(replacement) . So if it hits the fan with this one, I'll have a spare chip to go back to with minimal downtime to keep testing lol .

5. DefinityX

DefinityX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think maybe I've been experiencing a similar issue. Mine is a 9750/2070 variant. While being in the middle of productivity tasks, suddenly my mouse slows to a crawl, and the whole things just stops and locks hard. No blue-screen, no errors, nothing. Only way out of it is to do a hard power-off and reboot. I can return to the same tasks I was doing, and the machine will then be totally fine. Has only happened to me once a week or so. Are your lock-ups similar?

I've chalked it up to either Windows update being aggressive in the background, or the fact that I cloned the orginal SSD over to a larger one. Originally, I had done a fresh install of Windows, but that broke the OSD for the keyboard shortcuts. Cloning left those working (even on Win1903).

My replacement device just shipped (my current one has a screen defect and stuck pixel). I'll be curious if I have similar issues with that device.

6. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did you undervolt?

7. DefinityX

DefinityX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Didn’t even think of that... is that one of the ways it can crash from an UV?

I did (-1.25), but I haven’t been super successful in getting it to stick. I keep forgetting to add TS to my run@startup programs. But the only times I’ve remembered to open it are when I’m doing things on battery, and that’s usually when I’m doing productivity tasks... that’s very possible!

I’ll have to pay more attention.

8. zoneykid

zoneykid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A couple pages back I mentioned that you need to use Nvidia Control Panel or if you're using Hybrid mode then the Intel Graphics Control Panel, and set a custom resolution through that.
    If you google it there's plenty of tutorials.

Running the following in an admin cmd or powershell gives you some pretty neat stats: powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\Battery.html"
    Here are mine with 76Wh Battery, Hybrid mode, custom 60Hz resolution, brightness varying from 60-90%, windows in power saving, keyboard back light set to either off or the lowest brightness.
    Seems like my average drain rate is 20-25%/hour
    2019-08-29 08_21_29-Battery report - Opera.png

9. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Looks like i'm having wrist pain (nerve compression) when i game because of the edges press on my left wrist..anyone has this problem with the 17 inch vers (or the 15?)?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  10. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys I had to send my 15" Y740 with 9750H and 2070 back for replacement as I kept getting hardlocks when restarting or shutting the machine down. Anyone else experiencing any hardlocks on their machine?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019