Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not too picky about screens... But this one seems kinda dim, unless on max brightness. It's okay for things I do, but I would not call it great by any means. What do you like about it so much?

2. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You just remove the bottom cover, then the Heatsinks 6 screws.

Kalen likes this.
  3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How much lower did temps get just repasting? Regular paste or LM?
    Does that help with fan noise or is the same before and after?
    I’ve heard conflicting reports about fan noise, notebookcheck says it’s good
    But other reports saying it reaches up to 47db , is it because of the newer Bios?

4. kotomikun

kotomikun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The one other report about repasting this model (8750h version, but I doubt Lenovo changed their pasting procedure between those) said it did basically nothing:
    I'd still be willing to try it if it wasn't an instant voided warranty. Still have no idea what to make of the wildly inconsistent core temps on mine.

Anyway, some other random thoughts in no particular order:

Screen seems fine on this one, one of the few things with no negatives. Maybe a tiny amount of backlight bleed at the bottom edge, but not visible in normal use. I don't know if that's ever a real problem, either I got lucky or people are exaggerating the issue.

GPU--2060--has been nearly as weird as the CPU, though at least it's not overheating. Has intermittent coil whine (clearly the GPU as it only happens when running a game or other 3D render), mainly noticeable when the fans aren't running, harsh buzzing sort of sound. Usually it's faint, but occasionally gets impressively loud for a few seconds when first loading a game or benchmark. Speaking of benchmarks, polarized results there: Time Spy graphics score was only 5488, below the minimum report on Userbenchmark. After setting up Afterburner's automatic overclock, it does much better, scoring 6515, close to the maximum. However, this doesn't seem to do anything in actual games besides making the card a few degrees hotter, and making the coil whine louder. Using a flat core-clock-curve at 1320 MHz mostly eliminates the whine, so it seems this is due to voltage switching or something. I'm not really a big-time gamer (hence not buying a 2070 or 2080 version) so it's probably good enough, but the whine and strange performance results are a bit concerning.

Besides what I already mentioned, CPU idles at right around 50 C, though it takes a while for it to creep up from 30 after startup. Don't know if that's normal, either. Fans stay off 90% of the time on idle, but maybe they should be running a bit more...

Sometimes after running an intensive app, the fans will go from moderate speed to zero in a fraction of a second. Other times they keep running for a couple minutes, slowing down gradually. Very odd.

Surface temperature in games can get pretty bad under some circumstances. Especially on the WASD keys, which isn't ideal. Underwatting the CPU helps keep this under control, but it still gets quite warm, and very hot up near the power button.

Opening this thing up is a real pain compared to my previous laptop; apparently teeny-tiny glued-in screws and plastic clips are the norm now. Had some success using old credit cards to help pry it open, but those clip snaps on the front edge are scary loud, sounds like they're breaking off. Needed to do it to swap out the extremely noisy stock hard drive (Seagate...) and minimal RAM (the latter was some generic brand, "SK Hynix?"). And then had to open it a couple more times because it seemed like the 32GB Crucial set I put in was somehow making it run hotter. Still haven't ruled that out.

Keyboard reverts to the spinning rainbow pattern after shutdown, restart, or hibernate. Why this is even the default setting, I have no idea. Fn+Space works to reset it to light blue, but it's a bit silly.

Audio jack, with my higher-quality headphones at least, is basically useless because of all the interference noise. Especially bad for games because the coil whine goes straight into the headphones. At least the speakers are decent. Maybe the plug is in a poor location; my old Ideapad has it in the bottom-right corner and does not have this issue. Using a USB DAC/amp fixes the problem but it's a bit annoying being forced to use that for pretty much everything.

Still leaning towards returning this thing, it's certainly more powerful than my (7-8 years) old laptop, but it has an awful lot of annoyances for something that cost ~$1500 including tax (and that was a sale price). The freaky CPU and noisy audio are probably my biggest complaints. It sounds like most of this stuff is typical for this model, so getting a replacement unit doesn't seem productive, unless I'm wrong about these problems being common.

5. kfxsti

Reputations:
    @kotomikun

Only 1 of the three y740s I have received has had the blue paste. I could see where a repasted wouldn't possibly help. BUT, given how inconsistent the thermal pads have been, the amount of thermal paste used and how warped the Heatsinks are.. leveling back out the heatsink would make the repaste more effective.

@IKAS V using thermal Grizzly Kryonaut right now. Using LM on Heatsinks that are flat nets bad results. So once I get the Heatsinks like I need them. Then I will try the LM .

IKAS V likes this.
  6. kfxsti

Reputations:
    @IKAS V
    My replacement y740 . Notice the black thermal pad laying on the GPU? And notice the torn blue thermal pad for the VRMS ? When I popped it open.. you could literally see the thermal hanging out from under the heatsink flapping.. lol. Also notice the folded thermal pad ? Results may vary. And Damn voiding a warranty, this is the third one I've opened with similar issues. Lol

Attached Files:

IKAS V and Kalen like this.
  7. TheRealHendrix

TheRealHendrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone here with a 9750H model confirm if either the old 1.03 or 1.05 Bios versions have max fans instead of the thermal profiles? I was under the assumption the 9th gen models did not have a Bios with Max Fan mode. When I got my Y740 I was on 1.05, and it had the 3 thermal profiles already when pressing FN+Q. Apparently there is a much older 1.03 Bios that might have the Max Fan mode available for the 9750H models.

I'm happy with my thermals after tweaking being on 1.06, but i'd just like to know if there ever was a max fan mode available for the 9th gen models.

8. kotomikun

Reputations:
    Well, if my choice is between trying to repaste (and re-pad?) to see if it helps and being unable to return it either way afterward, and just returning it without dissecting it first... the latter makes more sense to me. If you can afford to buy three of them to mess with, that's a very different situation.

Also of note: while the size of the power brick for this laptop doesn't bother me, the amount of heat it generates kinda does. Could nearly burn yourself touching that thing after doing anything more intense than web browsing. Maybe that's inevitable for a 230W supply, but you'd think its gargantuan size would help with that. Another issue my old gaming laptop does not have; that power brick is smaller and gets nowhere near as hot. Maybe heat is the new FPS.

kfxsti likes this.
  9. kfxsti

Reputations:
    Never once was my warranty claimed as Void for removing the heatsink. Technically they have to prove removing the heatsink caused the issue. Pictures of thermal pads falling off and out from under Heatsinks were taken, and that warrants me to investigate as to why my 1500$ laptop was a throttling space heater from the depths of hell. But then again I'm in the US, and I don't know what country you are in. But I even made sure it was documented in my account of the issues with the first one. Including the thermal pad issues and heatsink gap.
    And it not necessarily that I have the funds to buy 3. 1 is dead. 1 is for work. And 1 is the replacement for the dead one. Lol. But when I pay for something, I expect it to do somewhat as expected. Not cook itself to death because someone was having a bad day in the install-a-heatsink department. Or a bad 3 days. However you want to look at it. Lol

10. kotomikun

Reputations:
    Warranty coverage seems pretty inconsistent, I've heard people claim their return was denied because the screws weren't in perfect condition (some of mine were slightly dinged up before I did anything to them). So I feel like that's just another gamble. After all, I still don't have compelling evidence that that's actually the problem with mine. If I have time I guess I could try to get their word that taking off the heatsink wouldn't prevent a return, but I'm short on time in the return window as it is.

kfxsti likes this.