Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    LG Display LP173WFG-SPD2 (its pretty great..also i think i fixed my glare issue..)

Just to confirm ..did you also have the issue when waking from hibernation? I mean it only responds to power button..no keyboard/mouse.

2. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is not an issue. And it does wake only after pressing the power button.

Random42352 likes this.
  3. Random42352

Reputations:
    Ok thanks..man this thing is so big it won't fit my 17 inch adjustable notebook stand..

Only solution is to have it rest on its feet at 120 degrees...with the hope the feet glue won't give out..

4. kotomikun

kotomikun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2060 GPU, though this happens with both CPU-only tests and combined tests. The back is propped up an inch or so, but this doesn't seem to have much effect. Room is around 75 F, not humid. The fans are slow to kick in (a complaint everyone with newer models has, it seems) but even once they get going the temperatures don't change (unless it's under-watted, the fans seem to halt the temp-climb at around 90 in that case), though it's potentially thermal throttling less? (Seems to get higher scores if I can trick the fans into running more, using "performance" mode or just starting a test while they're already running. But thermal throttle appears to be all that's stopping it from overheating.)

It seems manageable for what it is, but I don't know if it's a defect of some sort that could get worse. That one core having heat-dissipation superpowers while most of the rest struggle is very strange. Almost like it's not actually running at full speed or something.

5. Random42352

Reputations:
    Now i wished i had gottten the RTX 2070 instead of the 1660TI (2060 without raytracing really). Is the rtx 2070 in these laptops MAX-q or normal?

6. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maxq

7. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree completely. The fan performance was far better when you could force the fans to go full throttle. At this point, my speculation is that they have focused in the other direction and gimped the fans to facilitate the maximum of 40 db for the Max-Q specification... A focus that is far and away the wrong direction. Even modifying the fan curve in the developer BIOS by putting the active profiles to hit 100 percent at 75 degrees didn't do anything in practice.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

8. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What happens if you change 75 to 70 or 65C?

9. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm thinking that a temp probe difference between 1.3 and 1.6 is why adjusting the fan variables In 1.6 don't act properly.
    **in the process of comparing the two Bioses ** my replacement personal y740 came in today with 1.3 and my work y740 has 1.6 .

Under the power options in windows. Which power plan are you using ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2019
  10. kotomikun

kotomikun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bizarrely, power options in control panel only came with one plan, "Balanced." Don't think I changed any settings in there besides disabling the hibernate and turn off hard disk timers (replaced the Seagate it came with with an SSD anyway). Fn+Q has the usual Quiet, Auto, and Performance; have mostly kept it on Auto, Performance just seems to run the fans slightly on idle and Quiet actually seems to run the fans more as well for some reason. The battery thing in the toolbar is still on the middle setting, "Better Performance," don't know if that affects anything.