Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Finally ordered a 17 inch Y740 with GTX 1660TI. It's the version in which g-sync doesn't work (i don't care about that..i just want the LG panel..not the old AUO 329d). Fingers crossed i won't return it..

Should arrive on tuesday..forgot to ask you guys..what SSD do the 9th gen ones use? I am talking about 1TB SSD.

Thanks.

2. TheRealHendrix

TheRealHendrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure the 1Tb SSDs in the Y740s are almost always a decent Samsung. You can check userbenchmark.com, in the search bar type 81UH (this is the 9th gen 15in model, you'll have to search what the 17in model is), and it'll show you the components people have. I just checked and it looks like all the 9th gen 15in have the Samsung PM981. They could possibly use a different 1Tb but of all the benchmarks people have run on that model, it's the only 1Tb showing up.

Random42352 likes this.
  3. DRM842

DRM842 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For the 2 different 3.1 USB ports in the back. According to my Device Manager, one port is an Intel port and one port is an Nvidia port. Would anyone know which is which?

4. Random42352

Reputations:
    Just got the Y740 17 inch 9th gen with 1660ti and 1TB (samsung) SSD. I'm somewhat of a display-freak and i can say the LG panel on this on is very good..no wonder it's on the Alienware m51 which is orders of magnitude more expensive..

However the glare coating is kind of weak and i don't know if i will keep it because of that reason (i hate the glare, i also have a great Eizo monitor i keep in storage because i couldn't stand to use it because of the glare).

I tested the AUO409D (on ROG laptops, on Y540 there is an updated version) and i can say this one blows that one out of the water..however that one had a very good anti-glare coating (though being kinda grainy reading became tiresome sometimes)..

This thing is freaking huge..can't even fit my 17 inch laptop support..

Seems like a really great laptop, though, if i can't get over the glare..i will order the Y540 17 inch..

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  5. Random42352

Reputations:
    Y740 9th gen 17 inch getting ~80C on the GPU (1660ti)

Getting ~81C on the CPU over 10-15 minutes (laptopmedia lists 80 on the 9750H).

Are the temps right?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  6. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @codeHusky

1.6 - not in debug bios . F2 and under configuration.

Attached Files:

7. kotomikun

kotomikun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got a 15-inch 9750h one a couple of weeks ago, can post excessive info about my testing of it later, but I'm still hung up on whether the weird processor temperature is a bad sign:

[​IMG]

That's mostly just from running Cinebench R15. Core #3 shoots to ~95 almost immediately with stock settings, and sits there for the whole benchmark. But core #4 stays over 20 degrees cooler! #2 is also doing much better than the others. It always follows that pattern with anything that stresses the CPU--3 gets super hot, 4 stays super cold, others seem about where you'd expect. With some Throttlestop adjustments of -140 undervolt on core and cache (only the latter seems to matter) and changing the turbo power limits to 50/40 short/long, it mostly stays under 90 running Cinebench and doesn't lose much performance (it seems the power reduction reduces temp and undervolt helps bring the bench score back up to compensate), but that core temperature discrepancy doesn't go away. Another forum claimed a similar problem had to be poorly applied thermal paste, but I don't know if that makes sense (they sent it back for repasting and it made almost no difference) and can't exactly check that without voiding the warranty.

So... anyone know what's going on here, if anything?

8. Random42352

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that the laptop after a few hours goes into hibernation mode and can only be a awaken with the power button (and looks like a normal boot-up)? Or does mine have a power issue?

No input method works after a few hours, only the power button..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  9. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What panel have you got?
    Windows power settings. Mine says turn off after 3 hours of sleeping. I guess that's the issue.

10. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What gpu have you got? Is the rear lifted? What are the temperatures in the room? Is it the average temp? Or only before fans start working?