Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks again..one last thing..do you think the keyboard is comfortable for longer typing sessions? If you had any experience with that..

2. Bambilambi

Bambilambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cannot answer that one sadly it all depends on your preference.

It was very fluid but for me it wasn't the best keyboard. I personally need "deeper" keys. But this is very personal. Others have said that they really like the keyboard. It depends on what you are used to, and what you can be comfortable with.
    The computer was really good otherwise, and alot cheaper compared to the competition, with a good build quality.

3. TheRealHendrix

TheRealHendrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm getting similar temperatures, just depends on the game. I have the 150mv undervolt + an x-stand to keep the laptop back raised a couple of inches. I'm sure a fan pointed towards the laptop would also definitely help. If I underclock the 9750H to 3.8Ghz or 3.6Ghz I can keep CPU spike temps <80c, and average 65-75c depending on the game. Even with underclocking at 3.6Ghz, I've found the CPU isn't bottlenecking. Tested Division 2 benchmark on high and got 101fps running 4.0Ghz, and 100fps running 3.6Ghz. Not that it's really necessary, my max temps even running at 4.0Ghz spike in the low 80s and stabilize in the 70s for the most part. I'm running a +150 core and +400 memory OC with MSI afterburner. GPU never goes over 70c.

I'm also really interested in how high other people have been able to overclock their Y740 GPUs. My 2060 was able to get a stable +200 core and +400 memory OC, but my 2070 Max-Q can only reach +150 core +400 memory. If the GPU clocks higher than 2,025Mhz (some games like Destiny 2 allow the GPU to run at really high clock speeds, 1,900+Mhz in orbit/menus) my games will crash. I can play Apex for example with a +190 core clock and it is stable. +150 core is the highest I've tested and been 100% stable in all games though.

I've only run benchmarks a few times, but I get around 18,000 graphics in fire strike, and 7,500 graphics in Time Spy. Seems the RTX cards perform a lot better in DX12, which is good I suppose since that's what future games will eventually all use. I did manage to get ~7,400 in Time Spy, which is ranked #30 out of all the 9750H/2070MQ configurations, so I'm pretty happy with that. Fire Strike seems a bit low, 16,000 overall and 18,000 graphics. My next tweak is to try and undervolt the GPU in MSI afterburner and flatline it, should be able to keep games from crashing and still keep a +200 core OC.

I'm also curious if clocking the memory a lot higher on the Max-Q cards will give a good performance boost. The full 2060, 2070, and 2080 mobile clock their memory at 7,000Ghz. While the MQ cards only clock it at 6,000Ghz. So I'm wondering if a +500-1000 memory OC will give a good boost or not. I haven't tested much though, just found +150/+400 to be stable and it gives me performance I'm happy with.

4. TheRealHendrix

Reputations:
    Honestly I'm not sure if this is possible or not. I know you can't get the 500nit panel from Lenovo unless it's a 9750H model. You might be able to do it yourself, but I imagine that would be pretty difficult to both get and install. I'm sure the 500nit panel is compatible with both CPUs, Lenovo only added it to the 9th gen refresh models though. I've owned both and the brightness honestly isn't too different, but the real benefit is being able to play games in HDR. It looks pretty nice, I've tried it on The Division 2 and Destiny 2. HDR is a little bright in my opinion when it's on, but the colors and contrast look really nice. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out on some other games soon.

Lynton Bell likes this.
  5. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm 95% set on a Y740-17 inch ...any more impression on the keyboard (is it comfortable for long-time usage?...is key travel ok?)

I'm not that much of a gamer but i do productivity work..

I think i will order the GTX 1660TI version next week...i'm buying it mostly because it's quiet-er..i could get a same-specs Y540 much cheaper.. (but that's loud)

6. TheRealHendrix

Reputations:
    I have a 15in Y740 which some people find the keyboard layout shifted to the right to be slightly odd. Before this laptop I owned a MacBook Pro, and then a Surface Book, both which had exceptional build quality and keyboards. The keyboard is comfortable with long-term use in my opinion compared to the other two recent laptops I've owned. A couple of the keys do feel a little bit "squishy" or something, but after using it more and more I think that is going away. Overall I think it's a decent keyboard, not amazing but not bad. Key travel seems fine to me. I haven't tested my WPM or anything like that, but I seem to type about on par with the other laptops I've used. For the 15in hitting the Vantage button instead of the Escape button is probably my biggest gripe with it and has taken the longest time to get use to. But I use a mechanical keyboard on my PC at work and I have no problem going back and forth daily between the two. Anyway, hope this helps at least a little bit. You can always order risk-free and have 30 days to try it out before your return period ends. And I would definitely go with the Y740 over the Y540, it's a higher quality device and has better thermals. The fans on my 9750H unit are never audible when doing daily tasks. They only come on when gaming for me. My 8750H unit had the fans going even when idle sometimes, but I think they updated the fan profile in the most recent Bios to fix that. I'm also seeing way better idle temps on my 9750H compared to 8750H. 8th gen idled around 40-42 degrees, my 9750H will idle <35c, usually 32-34c which is pretty great. The 1660ti Y740 should be great for productivity work. I use mine for both work and school and it looks professional enough to bring into a work environment. If you have any other questions about the keyboard or anything else feel free to ask.

Lynton Bell, Random42352 and Kalen like this.
  7. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @codeHusky or anyone.
    Does anyone know how to clear cmos on this laptop? I turned off HT and now it sits at a black screen with the keyboard doing it's thing.

8. codeHusky

codeHusky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Small white connector on the right side along the battery side of the motherboard.

9. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've pulled the battery, pulled the Cmos battery, pressed the reset button. Keyboard is responding to fn+space and color changes. But still nothing.

10. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What happened?