Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know the detailed specs of the display panel used in new 15" model? I see a lot of other companies like Asus, Dell, Gigagbyte are using the 240hz IGZO display panels and while the 240hz refresh rate is useless - that panel has a very good contrast ratio (1000:1 official rating), very good response rate (Dell rates it at 7ms) and color coverage. I wonder how 500 nit panel used in Y740 compares to it. All Lenovo says in their document is "72% gamut" and nothing about contrast ratio or response rate:
    https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...Legion_Y740_15ICH_Platform_Specifications.pdf

2. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very disappointed to see my new 9th Gen Y740-17IRH-g is fitted with the old AUO329D instead of the new AUO409D or LP173WFG-SPB2.

Backlight bleed is really, really bad. I've contacted Lenovo to see what can be done.

3. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What graphics card do you have on it? What country are you in? Any complaints on the display (i heard auo329d is kinda grainy..)

4. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Australia. 2080 Max-Q. And yes, it's very grainy. I much preferred the LP173WFG-SPB1 on the ASUS ROG GL704GW I tried out last month.

Overall, I'm quite disappointed.

5. Random42352

Reputations:
    I returned a GL704GW a while ago... had AUO409D..which was pretty good, but had artifacts (reverse ghosting) because of aggressive overdrive tuning.. (manufacturers may use different panels in same laptop model though..like in your case)

Did the LG panel handle light good? I am in a room with natural light..

6. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wonder on the 17 if I will have to hit all keys on the num pad aswell.

7. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Bob!
    Do check out the Y740 unlocked BIOS. @codeHusky's trick worked pretty well to unlock it.
    Have a look at some interesting settings from the BIOS, lots more config to tweak.

Imgur album showing CPU power settings:
    https://imgur.com/a/N8PuzND

Steps to enable advanced BIOS:
    1. Goto BIOS
    2. Hold Fn and press the qwerty row: Q to P, asd row: A to L, zxc row: Z to M. Release Fn
    3. Press F10, select save when it asks you to save settings in the BIOS(yes you didn't do anything apart from step 2 in the BIOS).
    4. When the system reboots, open BIOS by pressing Fn + F2.
    5. You should now have the advanced BIOS, exercise strong caution before messing up the settings.

A ton of thanks to CodeHusky for this.
    So far, it works on his Y740 9750H and my Y740 8750H. May work for other legion models, try and report.

kfxsti, Arondel, B0B and 2 others like this.
  8. Random42352

Reputations:
    Ok thanks..looking forward to reflection impression..i sit next to a window.

Found out that keyboard has 1.2 mm of travel, which is short for a gaming laptop..but is it comfortable enough for typing?

Thanks..

9. Bambilambi

Bambilambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, I had only time to try after work. Still good light outside but not direct sunlight.
    In this case it had reflections which interfered when changing to different angles, For me i don't think it will be disturbing but it was definitely noticeable.

I'll see if i can get a picture up tomorrow.

Random42352 likes this.
  10. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the 15" with the 500 nit display. With HDR, G-sync, 144hz I have been amazed in game along with the paper thin bezels. While I havent bought a gaming laptop in a long time the first thing I noticed when I fired up a game on it was how amazing the screen looks.

I would say unless your spoiled and have been using the best of the best for gaming screens this is going to put a smile on your face while gaming. My screen does have some back light bleed but its completely unnoticeable when their is an image on it for me.

I love nice screens to, I was putting some serious thought into the Aero by asus with oled. Its extremely vibrant. Remeber, were not spending 2500$$ on a gaming laptop here, with coupons some of us are getting close to the 1400$ range with 2070MQ and new coffee lake 9750H.

My 2 cents, Iv been enjoying my new machine and my temps are staying in the 60 degress with 144 FPS in BF5 with full resolution and most of the settings cranked up for 7 hours in a row. Not once did my temps reach into the 90s. Loving it so far!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Bambilambi likes this.