Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’ve seen manufactures update their bios to enable this. The G5-793 did this a few years ago for example.

I hope Lenovo can make this right, right now.

BrianMac likes this.
  2. Bambilambi

Bambilambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tested some firestrike on my i7-950 2070maxq 17" Y740.
    Some UV -125 on both and +150/+300 in MSI afterburner
    The computer is nice and quiet.

However I might return it due to the keyboard. Otherwise i would definately keep it.

Attached Files:

3. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How well does the display handle light/reflections? Is it matte like a regular laptop or more semi-matte? Can it be used in room with natural light?

Also what issues does the keyboard have? Keys too shallow?

Thanks.

4. SpecificPowerRanger

SpecificPowerRanger Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm heavily considering getting this. Anyone know of a good coupon for the store ?

can someone also tell me if there is both a 300 and a 500 nit version for the i9750h version ? I cant see the 500 nit version anywhere so I guess i'm just wondering if i'll have to squint to see what's happening on the screen or not.

5. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    15 inch has 500nits.
    I havent seen 17 inch with 500 nits preconfigured, though.

6. TechnoWhore

TechnoWhore Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wanted to get the y740, but Lenovo has a bizarre way of doing business that is putting me off. Their UK website didn't feature any of the new legions until about 2 months after they were on sale in the USA. Now they have 3 configs of the y540 and only one for the y740 (top spec with 2080 maq only) for £2800 in the UK while there are many more configs in the USA that are much cheaper and have discounts.I asked in chat when more configs will be available for the y740, and the guy said "we don't have that information". A company that doesn't seem to be interested in doing business here. Also what happened to the 500nit screen they were advertising would come out, predicted to be in June. No mention of it again. Thinking of buying another laptop since Levono can't seem to get their act together.

7. zoneykid

zoneykid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ended up reinstalling windows for other reasons, so far getting about the same battery life on the 76Wh Battery, when not gaming I seem to average 3-4 hours (screen at 60-80% brightness, wifi on, fairly low CPU usage with bursts), which seems to line up when I ask other people what their battery on similar laptops with similar batteries is, as well as what various reviews say.
    Overall it makes it much more usable on battery, I don't feel like I need to just plug it in every time I sit down anywhere to program, but still not quite as good as I hoped.
    I'm going to try setting the refresh rate to 60hz and see if that improves battery life as lately I've barely even been gaming so I may just have to live with switching when I do game.

8. SpecificPowerRanger

Reputations:
    Ah i see. Thanks.

I'm wondering if there is a decent performance jump with the 2070 model (with the 9750h) from the 2060, since there certainly is a price jump. Also wondering which would be quieter and cooler. If anyone could answer these I would appreciate it

9. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From whatvI have seen - not much. I took 2080 because of machine learning... Extra memory is useful here. There is a guy (gamerdad) who did comparison between 2060 and 2070 and claimed there was not much difference. There's a link to his review somewhere at the start of this thread.

10. SpecificPowerRanger

Reputations:
    Hmm thanks. I'll have a look at it.

I would order the 2070 with 32 gigs of ram. But I could get the 2060 with 16 gigs, upgrade to 32 gigs and still save about 10 percent. Just wondering if it's worth it. Both from a performance perspective, but would also really like to know if there is a noise difference between the two ??

I would assume the 2070 does raytracing better ? I wonder if that can be used for renders within maya.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 3:45 AM