Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I also have a 2080 max-q version of the y740.
    When playing very demanding games (like BF V) I also get the cpu to 90*C. Those temperatures are warm, but there are no problems with the CPU running at those temperatures (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html ; https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html )
    As you can see from the official intel website, temperatures under 100*C are okay. Also, in case the cpu should really reach that limit, the CPU downclocks itself to prevent damage - so you dont need to worry at all.
    Nontheless, I´d prefer lower CPU temperatures, as the Y740 has joined heatpipes, so rising temperatures of one component affects the other - in this case the RTX 2080 max-q.
    So higher CPU temps result in higher GPU temps result in lower boost clocks and less gaming performance (though the 2080 max-q really is a beast).

2. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can anyone with the 9th gen and 1TB SSD tell me what ssd it is? You can see with Crystal Disk Info.

Also 9th gen 17 inch owners..how matte is the display? How well does it handle reflection/light? Thanks.

3. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Samsung pm981.

I haven't tried, but I don't think it's suitable. In my office, when there's sunlight from windows, it's not pleasant to work on unless on max brightness (my opinion.)

Random42352 likes this.
  4. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replay...i'm on the verge of ordering the 9th gen 17 inch but keep on waiting for youtube unboxes of it to see how it handles lights..your replay made me hesitate on buying it for now..and keep waiting.

As for the SSD..that is a very nice SSD it's basically the "business" variant of the latest Samsung consumer NVME...the Asus Scar Strix II and III come with the very low priced Intel P660 (which has bad endurance and "Experimental design") one of the reasons i returned it..but the real reason was that it got so hot after the GPU bios update that the plastic case started to warp..

Though the best thing about the scar strix was the display..handled sunlight like a champ and was pretty good quality overall..

5. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually Y740 temps are not too bad after some tuning. It is able to maintain clocks close to max, 3.4 on average under combined cpu/gpu load is not baf I think. Temps on stress test stay below 80 after limiting turbo boost at 3.1-3.2...I just expected more out of the box.

6. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got the Y740 15 inch with 9xxx cpu and the 2070 MQ. I will be testing it with this (LINK), ill take some SS of my temps with and without when I get it.

Also keeping the notebook raised just an inch can help with temps for more air intake on the bottom.

Has anyone updated to new bios 1.10

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2019
  7. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my 2070 Max-Q with 9750H and Division 2 has seen quite a jump in fps as compared to the 2060 with 8750H: a 20.6% increase actually. From the same settings within the benchmark there is a marked difference. Quite impressed with the new CPU and not seemingly on par with the 2060 anymore.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

8. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Another question... During stress test, when cpu gets hot, there's a plastic/rubber smell that comes out with hot air. Is it normal?

9. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alright, so to confirm a few things:
    1. The screen seems absolutely amazing (no backlight bleed at all vice 8th generation with its issues) and going to Division 2 shows a change in colours illustrating actual HDR while gaming instead of just streaming like last generation. This display is the BOE083B and is better than the LG.
    2. CPU seems hot still. No thermal throttling but even with performance mode engaged, it still gets into the 90's. Lenovo really needs to bring back the real Fn+Q for full fan control (didn't have it with Bios from factory and not on 1.10 either).
    3. Peak brightness far surpasses the original.
    4. 2070 Max-Q with 9750H is approximately 20.6% better FPS than 8750H and 2060 in Division 2; realistically this means that about 13% is attributable to CPU while about 8% is GPU which sounds about right.
    5. The colour is the same. Iron Grey = Black. There is no shade difference at all.
    6. RAM has changed; was Micron before, now Samsung.
    I'll have more thoughts later but so far, I'm glad I went for the new generation based on the screen alone.

10. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You shouldn't have to ask that question. Its just common sense, if something is smelling off your probably doing something to often like over stressing it or you need to have your system checked out by lenovo.

From my experience though this can happen with new laptops break in period where the plastic bitts get warmed up for this first weeks of use then it settles down some. That was with old alienwares though, i havent bought a gaming laptop since the Y740 in a long time. If it continues to happen and you dont do anything about it then yes common sense would say that their is an issue their that needs to be addressed.

I have not seen any other incidence of people claiming their legion laptops are smelling like they are burning though. Common sense would say the laptop needs some breathing room, meaning if your stressing the crap out of it you need to have it proped up a bit from being so close to the base to allow more air flow into the bottom of the machine. Also in a air conditioned house with low humidity. You dont want to be stress testing your laptop in 60% humidity directly in the sun.
    This is not a 2 inch thick Clevo with desktop parts that you can let bake all day long stressing it out with out anything happening.

Regardless, thanks for posting about your experience with your laptop. It helps others when problems arise.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019