Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok thanks, it remains an open question for me until i get 5-10 impressions or so

If anyone has 17 inch 9th gen Y740..please post display impressions
    Just wait a bit more, they will come..if not you can buy from another EU country..transport is 10-20 EUR and you can return it..

2. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    BTW, if the screen is that important to you, I think 15 inch model 500 nits screen is pretty good, at least for a gaming laptop.

Random42352 likes this.
  3. BassTek

BassTek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A bit of a warning to those deciding between the 1660ti and 2060 versions. My 1660 ti 15" model (81UF0000US) arrived and there is no way to enable GSYNC on the built in display. Switching between hybrid and discrete mode along with updating drivers did not fix it. Apparently other people noticed the same: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-y740-enabling-G-Sync/td-p/4477224

So if you value GSYNC and are considering the 1660ti model it might be good to hold off until things are fixed.

codeHusky likes this.
  4. Random42352

Reputations:
    What is understood is that there are different display-panel options for G-Sync and non-Gsync. Aka 2 different panels for each version (15 inch and 17 inch).

5. BassTek

Reputations:
    True, but the option I ordered specifically stated gsync in the description (and still does on the order page). So they need to fix the order page, or fix the drivers. I don't have the panel code handy since I'm at work but I believe it matched other 15" 9th gen models that have GSYNC enabled.

6. codeHusky

codeHusky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks like a new bios version is out for 8750h models, 1.10.

"Improve user experience and fan cooling function." is the only change. Seems like our voices were heard. Anyone see any improvements?

Edit: false alarm, it didn't add back FN+q max fan or anything. Similar meh performance, lazy fan profiles, etc etc.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  7. Random42352

Reputations:
    Could you please post your display panel? HWINFO -> Monitor

I ask in order to confirm there are separate panels for g-sync and non-g-sync

Also i asked a person in the online-store if the y740 17 inch 1660ti i planned to get had g-sync and they told me yes, however looking up the product number got me a Lenovo datasheet that didn't mention g-sync..so that may be the case with yours..a mistake..

8. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does it differentiate fan profiles between quiet / balanced / high performance at least?
    Jarrod's Tech review was strange... same 49dB in all modes.

9. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BfV had my 9750 in the 80s... Lol thanks bios updated.

10. BassTek

Reputations:
    I'll check it tonight again, I remember it was a BOE panel but forget the full string. Checking Lenovo parts lookup it seems like the Y740-15IRH and Y740-15IRHg models have the same replacement panel part number so my guess is there isn't a panel difference. The IRH model likely just is missing a BIOS flag or something that disables G-Sync, which if true is very annoying since it's otherwise the exact laptop I wanted.