Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Someone suggested to me to have a tech come out and fix the screen, I'll pursue that before my return period is up.

I'll do some bandwidth tests and such this weekend, super busy these next couple days!

2. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The bleed issues are a real shame for an otherwise brilliant machine

3. bsti

bsti Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, my notebook arrived earlier then expected. I want to give you my opinion about the device and some benchmark scores.

My specs
    • Lenovo Y740-15ICHg (81HE003YGE)
    • Intel Core i5 8300H
    • Nvidia RTX 2060
    • 16GB RAM
    • 128GB M2 NVMe SSD
    • 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Build
    The laptop feels really well built, compared to my old Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga. The display cover, keyboard and 2/3 of the bottom are made from metal. Overall it feels really solid.

Maintenance
    I openend the device by removing 11 screws and loosening the plastic clips with an old credit card. Everything seems to be easily accessible.
    The built in SSD has a M2 2242 form factor. I will replace the M2 SSD with a larger M2 2280 and remove the HDD.

Keyboard & Trackpad
    The keyboard feels nice, but I have to get used to the left set of macro keys, which bother me a bit. The RGB lightning of the keyboard is fun to look at, you can setup almost anything you want with the iCue software.

Display
    The display looks really good in my opinion, but it could be a little brighter. Colors are nice and saturated. The panel in my laptop is a LG LP156WFG-SPB2, which was also used in the Y530, see review here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-Y530-i7-8750H-GTX1060-Laptop-Review.379946.0.html

I still have to check for back light bleeding.

Speakers
    The speakers are ok, they sound good and get loud. For a laptop, the stereo effect is very good because the speakers are installed at the sides on the left and the right of the keyboard.

Benchmarks
    All benchmarks were run after about one hour doing various stuff, so not directly after boot with all components being cold.

3DMark (TimeSpy)
    Total: 5526
    Graphics Score: 5699
    CPU Score: 4716

User Benchmark
    Gaming: 82% Aircraft Carrier
    Desktop: 87% Aircraft Carrier
    Workstation: 64% Destroyer
    Details: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14826750

Cinebench R15
    OpenCL: 102 fps
    CPU: 767 cb

Final Fantasy XV Benchmark
    Standard, 1920x1080: 8254

Passmark
    Passmark Rating: 5564
    CPU Mark: 10764
    2D Graphics Mark: 881
    3D Graphics Mark: 12460
    Memory Mark: 2852
    Disk Mark: 7882

PCMark
    PCMark 10 score: 5283
    Essentials: 8008
    Productivity: 7172
    Digital Content Creation: 6970

Cooling
    I think that the cooling is good. Of course it gets louder than my Thinkpad Yoga under load, but it's not annoying.

Software
    I didn't find a lot of crapware on this device. I immediately uninstalled McAffee along with the other Windows crap (Candy Crush, etc.). Lenovo Vantage is a nice program that shows an overview of your system, which I quite like.

PJPeter and Arondel like this.
  4. woody2521

woody2521 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all

Just received an email regarding my order and unfortunately like most people it has been delayed. Really don't know whether to just cancel or wait for who knows how long.

Email is below

Dear jason,

We are contacting you in relation to the order you recently placed on the Lenovo Online Store.

Unfortunately, the manufacturing / fulfillment of the following product Lenovo Legion Y740-17ICHg was delayed.

We are currently awaiting confirmation of an estimated ship date to provide you with, once confirmed, we will be notify you via email.

Please note that if you have placed your order using a credit card, you will only be charged when the product has shipped and if you have selected wire transfer or PayPal as a payment method, payment has already been processed and no additional charge will be required.

We regret any inconvenience this delay may have caused and assure you that we are working hard to remedy the situation. If you have any further queries please feel free to contact our Customer Service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So is the 2080MQ model a 80W or 90W variant?

7. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    It shouldn't matter, you can flash an 80W chip with a 90W vBIOS IIRC

8. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Help me understand why it shouldn’t matter? Using a 90w bios on a 80w gpu. Wouldn’t that change only the stock clocks. It’s still only gonna be 80w or is it just locked to 80w and a bios flash can alter depending on which bios is flashed over it? So you could have an 80w 1080. But flash it and now it’s 90w 1080?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IKAS V likes this.
  9. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally I hope it comes with a 90W vBIOS as flashing one that isn't compatible can brick your system... I would rather it be stock.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

IKAS V likes this.
  10. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    In theory, the only difference between an 80W and 90W chip is a software limitation. If you had the bios of a 90W chip, you could turn an 80W chip into a 90W chip IIRC. This is especially huge on chips like the 2080 where they can be 80-150W and where pushing a few watts more can really change the experience if you are willing to crank those fans