Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's possible that BIOS updates/drivers could have increased power limits on GPU. Last time I checked, it was 90W consistently

2. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They are a bit costly, but these are the best choice in my opinion: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16grs they are based on the Samsung B-die which in general is the fastest and most tweakable ram-chip out there. What they will run at in the y740 I`m not sure of. if you own a laptop With XMP-options you can probably tweak them to run even faster.

contro likes this.
  3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried it. That bios update has only been going for 4 days.
    Just trying to relate if there has been a power increase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Looking at hardware maintenance manual, it looks like the batteries on the 17 inch can fit in the 15 inch if you take out the hard drive bay. Is this the case?

As per this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/c35xpe/y74015_could_potentially_take_y74017_battery

[​IMG]
    You can see how the 15 inch's battery and storage bay overlaps nicely with the 17 inch's battery alone. This might be interesting to look into because a 76Whr battery in a Y740 would get rid of it's only real flaw, short battery life

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
    B0B likes this.
  5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think it does because my Lenovo came with out a 2.5 drive so the sata port was unconnected and placed in the box for me to use later.
    So out of curiosity I undid the battery and the shape then resembles the extended battery. And one of the screw holes is unoccupied with the 2.5 is in use, but it does look like it would be for the bigger battery.
    If you look at the diagram again. Where the battery meets the hard drive, it levels off at the same height as the battery which coincides with what I said about the unoccupied screwhole covered by the 2.5” drive.
    I’ll be buying one at some point so I’ll verify it unless someone has already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. Phillyblunz

Phillyblunz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the Y740 2070 max-q with I7 8750H.

I am curious what clocks you are hitting with the stock vbios?

OC'ing through msi ab I can hold around 1800MHz while gaming as I cap fps to 100 so I never hit the 100% GPU usage and get frame drops. (Apex Legends/Overwatch)

Its odd you could only hit 1500MHz at 115W.
    I wonder if the Alienware vbios sets the MHz limit?
    Is that vbios unlockable?

Which laptop bios are you running? I am on 1.07.
    (First time I entered bios advanced tab was unlocked!! Could set # of cores, core speeds, etc. Had pages of extra options.
    Now The advanced tab is hidden when I enter bios :( You ever have any luck accessing the advanced tab in bios?? )

Is the Voltage the same? I thought the 17" used a higher Voltage battery?
    Might need the 17" charger if that is the case.

7. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Nice! Please let us know later!

I don’t know

8. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here a screenshot from my 17" battery, maybe that helps you.
    upload_2019-6-21_19-39-34.png
    Btw to those, who already have their Y740 in use for a longer period of time (>3 months): How is your thermal performance now?
    I see much higher temperatures compared to the start (sure, ambient temperature has gone up to around 26*C now), now I see thermal throttling on the GPU? (I have already taken off the bottom panel to clean the fans) Throttling occurs when the GPU hits 81*C (on BF V and FC 5 for example) - CPU temperature on the other hand hasnt changed at all.
    Could it be that the thermal paste has already gotten worse or is it just the high ambient temperatures?

9. contro

contro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those are not too bad they def are reasonably priced too $155.99 https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820232632

I may buy them.,

10. Phillyblunz

Phillyblunz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok so the charger for the 15" 2070 max-q puts out 20V and can supply 11.5A. (20Vx11.5A=230W)

HWiNFO64 Shows my battery is at 13V with 83% Battery.

What does the charger for the 17" output?