Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Cyto

Cyto Newbie

Reputations:
    Strange... Looks like the 9th gen versions have a worse display. This new one says "anti-glare" but no G-Sync. I hope Lenovo doesn't hold out on this 500 nit display, or worse - make the non g-sync display standard. (Seems like the wording for the display's spec is identical to the y540. Maybe I should stop speculating)
    Also, the Canadian web page has been updated to match the US site. Before it had no mention of 500 nit, but of course it's not listed as an option.
    Its strange to see Lenovo's marketing and web dev departments being so loose about all this.

2. contro

contro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you sure I just went to the site and don't see it even after trying to customize it....

Can you guys share the link ?

3. contro

contro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They have the 9th gen for the 17 inch models not the 15" yet ....

4. Lappytappy6

Lappytappy6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I never saw anything concrete about the 500nit screens. In fact the words "panel" or "screen" was never even used, just "brightness level". It was always extremely vague to the point that I still doubt they will be introduced as an actual option.

I ended up returning my intial Y740 because of the refresh and I guess it'll still be a wait to see what actually results of it. Meantime I have an order from the possible pricing error that was going on with the Y540, about $1100 cheaper with the same basic specs, only missing afew bells and whistles(TB3, Gysnc,Icue). Might keep it, still waiting to see what happens.

5. En-TACT

En-TACT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Cyto

Cyto Newbie

Reputations:
    https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/press-releases/lenovo-legion-just-got-savage-upgrades/

There is something concrete in this, and they do say 'screen'. It says:
    "The Lenovo Legion Y740’s optional 144Hz Full HD (1920 x 1080) display has NVIDIA G-SYNC™ available, designed to diminish annoying screen-tearing and stutters. With support for Dolby Vision® and a brighter screen at up to 500 nits, the Lenovo Legion Y740 brings entertainment to life."

Plus, the previous models were tested by reviewers. The brightness was always in the neighborhood of 300 nits.

Look at this article:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...0H-RTX-2070-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.413926.0.html

They say in this review:
    "Now, two separate display options exist, both of them featuring FHD resolution (1920x1080) and 144 Hz refresh rates for NVIDIA G-Sync. The only difference between the two panels (according to Lenovo specifications) is that one of them is brighter than the other (500 nits vs. 300 nits). The brighter panel is also correspondingly listed as an HDR display."

To me, Lenovo has made it clear that a new panel is planned. But given their past actions I'm worried that they will follow through with it. It'd be a good idea though, since people have been complaining about light bleed.

How is everyone missing this part...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
  7. Rhylin

Rhylin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does your laptop still do this? I noticed on this 2070 version doing it more than the 2060 version. It's rather annoying to restart constantly to fix the clocks.

8. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apparently it's common with most laptops; just unplug and plug back in, resets the voltages. Much quicker and easier than restarting.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Rhylin likes this.
  9. Rhylin

Rhylin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wouldn't think to unplug it, thanks for quick reply

10. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can I reduce the refresh rate to 60hz or 72hz (144/2)?
    Would want to save some battery by disabling gsync, forcing iGPU, lowering the refresh rate to 72hz.