Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First, a correction: I meant 7K in timespy. My current record, which I just ran again to be sure is 7,2xx.

As for your question, HWInfo64 said it was not hitting anything but the 115W power limit with that vbios. As to why it wouldn't boost higher, I can't provide reasoning other than the Y740 hardware doesn't like it. Temps were in the high 50's since the boost clock was so low.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Still, its ok, the 2070MQ does perform very good in the Y740 anyway. Kudos to you for trying this out though!

3. GeraltTheWitcher

GeraltTheWitcher Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Just received my Y740 17" 2070 Max-Q. I found out that iCUE doesn't have a default Static RGB Rainbow profile. If anyone has a profile already setup can you please share it.

4. Cyto

Cyto Newbie

Reputations:
    News on the upgrade expected for the Y740:

In case you forgot: https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/press-releases/lenovo-legion-just-got-savage-upgrades/
    Lenovo stated that they would give the Y740 a 500 nit display and 9th gen CPUs. I spoke with someone over chat about it being the end of May, and this is what they said.
    Also, student discounts have been neutered.

Mariela V.:
    Hello, thanks for contacting Lenovo Sales. My name is Mariela V. (Rep ID: 2900720471). At the conclusion of this chat, there will be a brief, two-question survey, scoring from 1-10 where 10 is the best. Please be sure to ask about our flexible payment options!

Me:
    Hi there! I'm just wondering if the student discount has been lowered

Mariela V.:
    Welcome to Lenovo SALES Chat Dept!
    How can I help you with your new purchase today?

Mariela V.:
    yes, student discount is 5% off now

Me:
    Gotcha. Do you know if there are plans for it to go back up?

Mariela V.:
    Unfortunately we don't have that information Mark

Mariela V.:
    discount is apply on top of the discount price, which item are you trying to purchase?

Me:
    Sounds good. One more question, lenovo put out a press release saying that the y740 will get upgrades - namely the 500 nit screen and 9th gen intel CPUs - they said that the upgrades would come this month. Is that still expected?

Me:
    I'm looking at the 17" y740

Mariela V.:
    I was checking and there is a delay on it, we expect to have this option next month approx

Mariela V.:
    on June 25th approx

Me:
    Awesome! Thank you for your help.

(This was a rep for the Canadian site. If you're in the U.S you might be seeing it sooner)

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anybody figure out how to get the dolby atmos stuff to work?

6. Romulox360

Romulox360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had my y740 for just over a month now (since 4/22) and love it, was worth the 10 week wait. I got the 2070 with 512 GB SSD, 16 gb ram and 1tb HDD (I did replace the HDD with a 1tb 860 EVO) I mainly play Skyrim and Ark but everything runs at max settings without a problem. At home it normally sits on a Thermaltake Massive 14 dual pad that I put on my lap desk while I game on the couch, after some of my longer Ark sessions the keys are a bit hot but not too bad.
    I just got my Rift S this past weekend which is the main reason I got the y740. I had not seen anyone talking about VR on the y740 so thought Id share my experience with it so far. The Rift S works great with it, it runs all the games I have tried with no issues. I plug in using the DP to MiniDP and USB 3.0 ports on the back. I have had a couple choppy moments but think it was because I had some other things running in the background while I was in VR. If anyone has any VR y740 questions let me know and Ill do my best to answer.
    I have also been using the laptop at work for meetings and running testing with alternate accounts alongside my work desktop, set to power save in battery settings I have made it through 2 hour long meetings with no worries, at first I was taking the power brick into meetings with me but I now leave it at my desk.

7. Lappytappy6

Lappytappy6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder if the teacher and military discounts were similarly slashed. Kinda torn on returning my current one(has some screenbleed issues) and getting the refresh with better specs. Of course there is no garuntee that that version will have decent sales like the current Y740 has. Only have acouple days left to make a call.

On another note the Australian Lenovo website has the I9 Y740s already listed for sale right now:
    https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptop...-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y740-17/p/88GMY701062

Though the prices are horrid and there is no mention of a 500nit screen.

8. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested there may be a price error on the Lenovo Y540 17" in Canada. The top of the line with i7-9750H, 2060, 144 Hz, 16 GB, is only $1267.87+tax after military discount. Also ebates is 9%. I have the Y740 already but this was too good a deal to pass up.
    [Lenovo Canada] Legion Y540 (17???) Gaming Laptop (RTX 2060 6 GB)
    https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-legion-y540-17-c-gaming-laptop-rtx-2060-6-gb-2287938/

https://go.ebates.ca/U8tW687c6W

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Lappytappy6 likes this.
  9. contro

contro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Im waiting in the US for the y740 15" refresh ughhhhh .... want dat 2070/2080 max q

10. En-TACT

En-TACT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like Lenovo (US) has the 9th Gen. i7-9750 chip as an option now available for Y740s.