Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got my 15" Y740 2070 mq a couple days ago. Its pretty good compared to my GS65 2060. I like the smaller keys a lot. So far, I found hwinfo says the GPU runs at 80W normally and switches to 90W when the fans are set to max. Using Afterburner to oc, I got firestrike/timespy scores of 16,317/7508, with +150 core/500 memory ( in other words, not trying very hard).

While flashing the vbios on my MSI and Y740 were both easy and straightforward, the Y740 refused to boot with Razer's 90W vbios and I was forced to flash it back via safe mode with command prompt. I can't be sure why it didn't take, considering plenty of other 2070mq laptops flash just fine. My guess is it's because of the funky, power limit switching vbios or possibly gsync. I might try again if I find more vbios files. Neither benchmark posted to the rankings due to the invalidated firmware/drivers.

Throttlestop undervolting seems to have very little effect on temps in my living room at 70F ambient. Cinebench R15 never fell below 3.8GHz during multiple runs.

I was disappointed Lenovo decided to set this laptop up with RST for optane while shipping with an nvme drive instead of an optane drive considering the inclusion of a 7200 rpm HDD and how inexpensive a 660p is compared to nvme.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Run it again and keep testing, undervolting game takes time to get right.

3. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Run AIDA64 stability.

4. theemadgamer

theemadgamer Newbie

Reputations:
    I had a similar issue going on with my 4-May order. Was original to ship in 3 weeks, now showing 2 months. So seeing it on the site the following week with "ships same day if ordered before 2pm" on product page. After calls to sales and after order support both said nothing can be done but buy and cancel I did, or I tried.

Ordered 2nd one on 14th, delivered on 15th. Canceled original order on 15th, 9am. @ 5pm on 16th received ship notification of cancelled order. Received cancelled order on 18th. RMA'd today.

TLDR: So your 2-May-19 order may be arriving soon.

95bat likes this.
  5. 95bat

95bat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is good news that yours showed up, even if your 2nd order arrived before the first.

My order summary is showing a $0 total for my order right now and there is a pending charge on my credit card as of yesterday so you may be right, could be on the way soon.

6. theemadgamer

theemadgamer Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, your description sounds like several folks on reddit who were commiserating about the same wait when orders started showing up. If I had noticed that first, I might have waited another couple of days. but I"m happy, the one I received first is awesome, screen is great, loving it!! Here's hoping you receive the same notice soon.

7. Shoehorn

Reputations:
    Tried the 115W vbios from the Area 51M last night. Same device I'd, boots with no issues but results were disappointing. Firestrike scores in the high 14,000s. No amount of tweaking in Afterburner makes it run better.

utkarshNS likes this.
  8. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That GPU and model?
    Firestrike settings?
    How much wattage did the GPU pull at max?

9. Shoehorn

Reputations:
    I have the 2070MQ. The 115W vbios is from the Alienware Area51M with 2070 non maxQ. It pulled the full 115W on my Y740 but only boosted to 1,400-1,550 MHz in Firestrike, resulting in scores equivalent to a 2060 mobile. The original vbios with max fan/90W setting and +195/1,000 in AB scores in the 16,4xx range in Firestrike and a little under 8,000 in Timespy.

10. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh, did you see any throttling with the GPU and its reason: Power limit or Temp?
    What were the temps like?